The Jedediah Brownbread, Esq. Award
When Akron was 10 years old, it was like the Wild West - a freewheeling canal town full of gamblers, counterfeiters, and idle young men who drifted from place to place, looking for work as store clerks. Connecticut-born
To honor the humor of Akron, $100 will be awarded to a student at The University of Akron who authors the most humorous paper or a paper that best uses or studies humor. Submissions will be limited to works written for University of Akron courses within the calendar year previous to the call for submissions. A committee of English Department faculty will judge the essays.
- TBD, but historically around $100.
Who can enter:
- Currently enrolled UA undergraduate and graduate students who have authored a humorous paper or a paper that best uses or studies humor. Both academic and creative work will be considered.
- Upload a copy of a humorous paper you have written for a University of Akron course within the preceding calendar year.
- The paper must be double-spaced in 12-point font, preferably Times New Roman.
- The document must include your name, email address, and student ID number.
- Save the title of your document in “LAST NAME-Award Title” format (for example, SMITH-Brownbread Award).
- Upload your document in PDF form.
- Access to the submission form will re-open in the Spring 2023 semester.