The University of Akron has an official partnership with Top Hat as a supported active learning technology.
Top Hat is a student engagement system (like clickers) that can help instructors facilitate active learning before, during and after class in online, blended, and face-to-face classes. Top Hat is a bring-your-own-device solution, which means that students can use any web-enabled device (laptop, tablets, smartphones) to ask questions, take polls, give quizzes, and receive feedback from your students during class. With Top Hat, answers can be submitted via text messaging so that students can use older cell phones as well.
Top Hat is for student engagement
Have you considered using clickers in class? Instead of requiring students to purchase a clicker, students log into Top Hat with their laptop or cell phone.
While Top Hat is free for faculty and staff, students pick a subscription level based upon how many semesters they will use the platform, regardless of how often or how many different courses will use Top Hat in that time period:
- 1 semester ($28)
- 1 year ($43)
- 4 years ($90)
Top Hat Features
- Choose from fourteen different interactive question types such as multiple choice, matching, sorting, short-answer, numeric answer, click-on-target, fill in the blank and more
- All responses and participation grades are captured in the Top Hat gradebook for students to access any time. Professors receive regular data-driven insights to help identify at-risk students
- Grades and participation data can be easily exported to Blackboard
- Automatically take attendance (in-person or remotely)
- Securely administer quizzes, tests and exams on students’ devices
- Top Hat is an all-in-one platform that includes the above features and more in one place
Getting Started with Top Hat
To schedule a personalized demonstration or learn more about implementing Top Hat in your course, please contact Rachel Peirson at email@example.com. Once you decide to move forward with a course, Rachel will connect you with a dedicated onboarder / instructional designer who will work with you to setup the course and support you for the semester.
Faculty Helpful links:
- Creating your professor account and courses
- Inviting students to your course
- Accessing your course roster from the LMS
- Top Hat Webinars (live training webinars)
Teaching Resources (including best-in-class pedagogy, e-books templates and webinars)
- Customer Stories (innovative ways faculty are using Top Hat to engage their students)
- Instructors can also find resources and how-to’s in the Top Hat Success Center
Visit our student’s webpage at https://tophat.com/students/ for more information.
If you need assistance with your Top Hat account or subscription please contact Top Hat’s support team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-663-5491.
Information for students:
If you have any questions please contact Top Hat’s support team directly at email@example.com or call 1-888-663-5491.