New Funding for Master's Degrees
The Department of Mathematics offers a variety of interdisciplinary accelerated 5-year BS/MS programs! Transition to the graduate program happens during the 4th year. Your Akron Guarantee Scholarship can be used in the first 4 years to cover both undergraduate and graduate expenses, and the Department has graduate assistantships available for the 5th year. Planning early is the key to success for these programs; for more information, visit 5-year Master's or contact Dr. Pat Wilber, Graduate Coordinator of the Math Department, at email@example.com.
You are in the right place for a great career!
The top 10 best jobs of 2018 and 2017 include mathematician, operations research analyst, actuary, statistician and one of the best paid but still most in demand for 2017: data scientist. Our department is part of the brand-new UA data science program!
Then visit here:
to find out what it means to become a math major or graduate student.
Department of Mathematics
Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-4002
College of Arts and Sciences Building
Dr. Kevin Kreider
Assistant to the Chair
Ms. Pamela Hoover
webmaster: Dr Stefan Forcey
...reaches realistic solutions using abstract tools. We can create mathematical models at any scale — electrons, ecosystems, or economies. We can design new molecules for medicines and materials. We can optimize for efficient communication and secure networking. We can decode a genome and decipher its history. We can discover the best environmental and financial options.
Applied mathematicians use mathematics to solve problems in science and engineering. We set up systems of differential and functional equations, solve them directly or approximately via programming, and then apply the practical results. Theoretical mathematicians explore beyond the physical models. We create new mathematics by uncovering logical structures, geometries, patterns and symmetries.
With a degree in mathematics or applied mathematics you can work in virtually any field— in the public, academic and industrial sectors. Math majors have all the skills employers want!
Announcements for Fall 2018
- WIM Lecture Series: Thursday November 1st at 4:30pm. Dr. Alexis Byers, an Assistant Professor at YSU, will give the talk "Moving Gracefully Toward Graph Coloring." In this talk, Dr. Byers will describe how a 19th century problem on sets led to a 20th century problem on the decomposition of graphs, which, in turn, resulted in a graph labeling problem that gracefully led to a 21st century concept on coloring of graphs.
- WIM Lecture Series: Tuesday October 2nd at 4:30pm in Olin Hall 113. Dr. Carla Cotwright-Williams will give a presentation about her career and tell us about what she does as a mathematician at the Department of Defense in Washington DC.
- Thanks for a great picnic! Thursday, September 20, 2018, 5:45 pm: The annual fall picnic at Sand Run Park Mingo Lodge (map) was hosted by the math student groups: PME, WIM and SIAM.
- Seminars and Colloquia are currently scheduled in algebra, combinatorics and PDE's.
- SIAM Student Chapter will host Dr. Nao Mimoto, an associate professor of Statistics at UA, on Wednesday September 5th at 5pm (new time) in CAS 142. Dr. Mimoto will talk about Actuarial Science, Financial Time Series, and Machine Learning.
Join Pi Mu Epsilon! Anyone can join the student organization as a math club member (no requirements except loving math!) and then apply for honor society membership in the spring.
- We have now an official SIAM Student Chapter. Anyone can join the student organization.
- The Women In Mathematics group is hosting seminars this semester by female mathematicians on their research and career opportunities. Anyone can join the student organization. Meet up weekly on days TBA.
What makes a great college professor?
Kevin Kreider and Susan Young teach math with humor and clarity — and that ranks them among the top 25 college professors in the nation – in a RateMyProfessors.com survey.
Mathematicians from around the world gathering at UA Oct. 20-21
The schedule will include 21 special sessions about mathematics and math education.
Math Department Poster Session
The Math Department's Eleventh Annual Poster Session will be held on Wednesday 30 November. It will feature over 40 student research projects in a variety of mathematical areas.
Professor serves on U.S. energy committee
Dr. Joseph Wilder has been reappointed to another two-year term on a U.S. Department of Energy advisory committee, where he provides expertise in methane hydrate computer simulation.