Dr. Sadhan C. Jana
Sadhan Jana received his Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from Northwestern University in 1993 and worked at GE Corporate Research before joining University of Akron in 1998. He served as chair of the Department of Polymer Engineering from 04 to 11.
- Academic Positions, Administrative Experience, Editorial Activities, Biographical Listing, and Awards and Honors
- Low rolling resistance tire tread via improved mixed filler dispersion
- Processing of self-assembled bottom-up polymer nanocomposite materials
- Chaos-induced multi-scale structures
- Chaotic mixers as reactors
- Chaotic mixers for nanofiller dispersion
- Polymer nanocomposites
- Shape memory polymers
- Shape memory polymer nanocomposite materials
- Shape memory aerogels for space applications
- Bipolar plates for PEM fuel cells
- Kulkarni, A., Jana, S.C. Surfactant-Free Syndiotactic Polystyrene Aerogel Foams Via Pickering Emulsion. Polymer, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2020.123125.
- Lin, W-H, Jana, S.C. Analysis of Porous Structures of Cellulose Aerogel Monoliths And Microparticles For Drug Delivery. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 2021, 310, 110625(1-12). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2020.110625.
- Raut, P.; Yuan, S.; Miyoshi, T.; Jana, S.C., Effects Of Surface Area And Porosity On Behavior Of IL Molecules In Meso And Macroporous Polymeric Networks. Polymer, 211 (2020) 123081, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2020.123081.
- Chan, Z.; Jana, S.C., Solid State Polymer Ionogel Electrolyte for Use in Li-ion Batteries. SPE Polymers, 2020, 1, 55-65, DOI: 10.1002/pls2.10016.
- Yao, Y., Joo, P., Jana, S.C. A Surfactant-Free Microfluidic Process For Fabrication Of Multi-Hollow Polyimide Aerogel Particles. Invited special issue article in Honor of Professor Musa Kamal and Pierre Carreau. Int. Polym. Proc., XXXV 2020, 5, 481–492. DOI 10.3139/217.3989.
- Zhan, C., Jana, S.C. Shrinkage Reduced Polyimide-Graphene Oxide Composite Aerogel For Oil Absorption. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 2020, 307, 110501 (1-9). doi.org/10.1016/j.micromeso.2020.110501.
- Ghosh, M., Jana, S.C. Fabrication of hollow and porous tin-doped indium oxide nanofibers and microtubes via a gas jet fiber spinning process. Materials 2020, 13, 1539; doi:10.3390/ma13071539.
- Niknezhad, S., Jana, S.C. Bi-component nanofibers from core-shell nozzle in gas jet spinning process. J. Appl. Polym. Sci. 2020, 137, 48901. DOI: 10.1002/app.48901.
Detailed Publications, Patents, and Presentations
- Books and Book Chapter, Commissioned theme articles, Editorials, Publications in Refereed Journals, and Publications in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Patents Issued to Prof. Sadhan C. Jana's Group
- Presentations from Prof. Sadhan C. Jana's Group
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University, 1993
- M.Tech., Chemical Engineering, IIT- Kanpur, India, 1988
- B.Tech., Chemical Engineering, University of Calcutta, India, 1986
Sadhan C. Jana Research Group
Current PhD and MS Students
Erin Farrell (Ph.D: Fall 2016- present)
Thesis topic: Emulsion-Templated Polyimide Aerogel Monoliths and Sheets
Research project involves synthesis of polyimide gels and aerogels with focus on porous polymeric network formation and processing operations for mass production of aerogel films and sheets. We are currently developing polyimide aerogel sheets and films with large fraction of mesopores and emulsion-templated structures for continuous production.
B.S. Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering, West Virginia University
Akshata Kulkarni (Ph.D. Fall 2016 – Present)
Thesis topic: Towards The Development Of Polymeric Materials For Increased Fuel Efficiency
Objectives are : (a) Development of new generation coupling agents for carbon black dispersion and novel vulcanizates for low energy loss tires. (b) Development of Pickering emulsion templating and additive manufacturing assisted hierarchical syndiotactic polystyrene aerogels and gels for oil water separation application
B. Tech Polymer Engineering and Technology, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, India
Piljae Joo (Ph.D. Fall 2016 – Present)
Thesis topic: Use of Additive Manufacturing Tools for Fabrication of Functional Materials Structures
Objectives: (a) Developing combinatorial library and high-throughput analysis, (b) 3D aerogel fabrication.
BS: Soongsil University, Organic Materials and Fiber Engineering
MS: Ulsan National Institute of Science and Engineering, Energy Engineering
Aparna Agrawal (PhD. Fall 2018- Present)
Thesis topic: Fabrication of Intricate Aerogel Articles Using Additive Manufacturing Tools
Research involves fabrication and characterization of complex-shaped, metamaterial type of aerogel articles including auxetics, modular bricks, and Kelvin structures utilizing sol-gel chemistry and additive manufacturing tools. Targeted applications include smart bandages, filtration, acoustic sensors and thermal insulation.
B.Tech., Polymer and Surface Engineering, ICT Mumbai, India
Leyao Wu (Ph.D. Fall 2019 – Present)
Thesis topic: Upcycling of Consumer Plastic Wastes
Current focus: Recycling of consumer grocery bags into 3D-printed structures.
MS Polymer Engineering, University of Akron
BS Material Chemistry, South China University of Technology
Pratik Gotad (Ph.D. Fall 2019 – Present)
Thesis topic: A comprehensive study of the diffusion, adsorption, and interactions of organic molecules with very high surface area porous polymer gels and aerogels.
This study will help in developing improved polymer gels for oil-water emulsion separation, energy storage, and drug delivery applications.
B. Tech Surface Coatings Technology, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, India
Qihang Chen (MS Fall 2019 – Present)
Thesis topic: Dye adsorption using porous gels
Exploiting high surface area values of polyimide and syndiotactic polystyrene gels for adsorption of ionic dyes from water
B.S. Composite Materials and Engineering, Donghua University
Kefan Liu (MS Fall 2019 – Present)
Thesis topic: Investigating the effect of recycled PET on concrete performance
BS Composite materials and engineering, Donghua university
Ming Wen (MS Fall 2019 – Present)
Thesis: Relationship between crystallinity of carbon black and efficiency of dispersion rubber and polymer compounds.
BE Polymers and Materials, Qingdao University of Science and Technology
Nilay Shah (MS, part-time)
Research Group Picture (Missing are P. Joo, N. Shah)