PROMOTING UA ACROSS THE REGION
I talked about Zips athletics, the benefits of attending a comprehensive university and what's next for UA with Emmett Golden and Jerod Cherry of ESPN Cleveland WKNR 850-AM.
SUPPORTING THE ZIPS IN ATLANTA
I had a break during meetings with alumni and donors in Atlanta on Dec. 20, so I surprised the Zips women’s basketball team by dropping by their road game at Georgia State. Bill Morgan even invited me onto his halftime radio show. Thank you, team, for a great game and road win, 78-66! Go Zips!
I had great fun as the guest tubist at TubaCristmas, one of the great traditions of our University.
I extend my gratitude to founder Tucker Jolly for the invitation and to all who attended.
President Wilson killed it at TubaChristmas. Come hear him and the rest of the tubas at 2:30 at EJ today! #profmattwilsonPosted by The University of Akron School of Music on Saturday, December 10, 2016
We are Zips. We are family. That’s what makes us The University of Akron
On Dec. 8, I had the pleasure of presenting to our students and employees a new video that highlights the partnership between UA and the LeBron James Family Foundation, and the deep connections the Zips family has with our city.
People here care deeply about the success of our students and are determined to advance society through higher education. This video conveys their sense of pride and commitment to our mission.
I invite all UA students, alumni, friends and employees to support our efforts by taking time to think about moments that have defined your UA experience and then share those memories through social media, answering the question “What makes us The University of Akron?”
Black Male Summit Academy
Our Black Male Summit Academy launched in October, with more than 200 students from Akron, Canton and Cleveland public schools in attendance.
At the first meeting, they learned how to prepare for college, including a mock classroom session during which they learned lessons from our freshman orientation course curriculum.
We hope they will join us as students in a few years!
Meeting and listening to high school principals
I’m in the process of visiting as many high schools as I can in Summit and surrounding counties, meeting the principals to better understand how we may best serve their students and faculty. Above, visits to Revere, Our Lady of the Elms and East. More to come!
MESSAGES AND MORE
In the news media:
- UA president answers the call, helping panicked student; tells audience ‘we are about family’ | Ohio.com, Jan. 18
- UA students, staff fan out across Akron for Make a Difference Day | Ohio.com, Oct. 23
- UA’s interim president Matthew Wilson is very visible on and off campus | Ohio.com, Oct. 12
- UA students give the interim president a thumbs up for his first Q&A town hall meeting | Ohio.com, Sept. 7
- University of Akron returns to roots with interim president, #UANewDay campaign | Cleveland.com, Sept. 6
- Interim UA president’s personal touch wins high marks from students and parents on dorm move-in day | Ohio.com, Aug. 25
- UA’s interim president, the law school dean, has a full calendar | Ohio.com, July 26