*** In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, APTS Training has transitioned to a remote workforce. The decision aligns with our goal to lower the number of interactions on campus, slow the rate of transmission, and protect our community.
While all classes scheduled in March and April have been canceled, we are currently accepting registrations for courses scheduled after May 01, 2020. We will monitor the situation and may have additional cancelations.
Staff will be monitoring emails and voicemails. Our clients and instructors are very important to us, so please feel free to contact us. ***
Degradable Biomaterials for Tissue Engineering Applications - 3 Day Course
To be scheduled
Time: 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Location: Akron Polymer Training Center, Akron, OH 44325-5404, U.S.A.
Cost: $1,800 USD
Instructor: Dr. Bill Landis, Dr. Matt Becker, and Dr. Abraham Joy
This three-day course will have a lecture component and a laboratory component. The lectures will cover the synthesis, characterization and fabrication aspects of biodegradable polymers. In addition, the lectures will also cover the fundamentals of cell biology, cell-materials interactions, and tissue engineering in the context of biomaterials. The laboratory component will include cell seeding on scaffolds, electrospinning, polymer extruding, scaffold fabrication, and fundamental cell culture.
- Synthesis, Characterization and Fabrication:
- Synthesis of degradable biomaterials (condensation, ring opening)
- Characterization of degradable biomaterials
- Properties of degradable biomaterials including crystallinity, water uptake, protein adsorption, and degradation
- Measurement of mechanical properties of biomaterials
- Method for biomaterials fabrication including electrospinning, salt leaching, and solvent casting.
- Cell Biology and Tissue Engineering:
- Basic cell and extracellular matrix structure
- Function of the nucleus, cell cytoplasm, cytoskeletal elements, and cell membranes
- Cell-biomaterial surface interactions
- Analytical methods for characterizing cellular outputs – PCR, histology
- Biomaterials for tissue engineering applications
- Experimental Component:
- Cell seeding on scaffolds
- Polymer extruding
- Scaffold fabrication
- Fundamental cell culture