Steven Ash, Ph.D.
Dept/Program: Department of Management
Office: CBA 343
Phone: (330) 972-6429
- Ph.D., Business Administration - Human Resource Management and Organizational Behavior, New Mexico State University, (Awarded: December, 1996)
- M.B.A., Emphasis: Management, New Mexico State University, (Awarded: May 1993)
- B.A., Experimental Psychology - Cognitive Psychology, New Mexico State University, (Awarded: December 1986)
Professional & Academic Experience
- Professor and Chair, Department of Management, The University of Akron, Akron Ohio (2009 – present) [Interim Chair from Jan. 2009 – June 2013, Associate Chair from July 2009 – Dec. 2010]
- Associate Professor, Department of Management, The University of Akron, Akron OH (2007 -- 2013)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Management, The University of Akron, Akron OH (2001 -- 2007)
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Management and Human Resources, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH (2001).
- Professor and Department Chair, Department of Management and Human Resources, Franklin University, Columbus, OH (1997 -- 2001).
- Assistant Professor, Sul Ross State University, Uvalde, TX (1994 -- 1997).
- Adjunct Professor, Troy State University, White Sands, NM (1993 -- 1994).
- Graduate Student Instructor, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM (1990 -- 1994).
- Reviewer for Journal of Applied Psychology
- Reviewer for Journal of Managerial Issues
- Editorial Board for International Journal of Organizational Analysis
- Reviewer for Human Resource Management Journal
- Reviewer for Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy & Society
- Reviewer for Journal of Management Studies
- Reviewer for Academy of Management Conference (HR and OB Tracks)
- Study Abroad Director for a group of 25 students to Rome and Florence, March, 2014.
- Director of Fitzgerald Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies (2007-2008).
- Facilitator for Scholarship of Entrepreneurial Engagement Science and Technology Forum for high school students, 2007 and 2008.
- Asked to serve on a cross-college pedagogy research team by Dr. David Baker (Director of Institute of Teaching and Learning, 2005). Resulted in a paper on student learning in regards to goal orientation and mental models with Drs. Lord and Elicker in College of Arts and Sciences.
- Led classes of UA students to Italy and Greece for five weeks in summers of 2007 – 2010.
- Led a cohort of International Executive MBA students on a trip through Europe with activities in London, Paris, Luxembourg, and Amsterdam, spring-summer 2006.
- Faculty Advisor for The University of Akron SHRM student chapter since 2002.
- Students regularly win the National Merit, or Superior Merit Award from the Society for Human Resource Management each year that I have advised them.
- The UA teams regularly takes first, second, or both places in the Ohio HR Games
- Akron Area SHRM Board member (2001 – 2014)
- Attend two meetings per month to help guide activities to develop local HR talent.
- Conducted a survey of benefits offerings and perceptions for Akron metro area. Presented findings at SHRM meeting.
- Parks Board member, appointed by Hudson City Council 2004 – 2006.
- Akron Experience Implementation Committee
- Search Committee for Director of International Programs
- Member, Human Resource Faculty Search Committee
- Chair, Organizational Behavior Faculty Search Committee
- University Long-term Strategic Planning Committee (Vision 2020)
- University Task Force on Safety (2008 to present)
- Chair, Supply Chain Management Search Committee
- Graduate Curriculum Committee
- Other College of Business Search Committees
- Finance department search (business law)
- Director of undergraduate programs
- University Search Committee for VP of Human Resources
- University Search Committee for Director of Wellness and Recreation Center.
- Chair, Master of Science in Management program evaluation committee
- Member of University Senate, representing College of Business
- University Student Hearing Board
- Graduate Faculty Membership Committee of university Graduate Council
The University of Akron Committee Work
Other Business Experience
May 1989 - September 1991 (partial years)
Human Factors Engineer, Usability Team
- Designed experiments to test customer mental models, error sources, and work process stereotypes
- Conducted qualitative research on customers to understand attitudes, perceptions, needs and requirements
- Interfaced between programmers, engineers and end customers to better determine requirements and needs
- Worked with marketing department to design survey instruments and qualitative techniques for understanding attitudes and opinions of users
May 1988 - May 1989
Experimental Psychologist, Usability Center
IBM Rochester (Malcolm Baldrige Winner)
- Designed quantitative and qualitative experiments to identify task requirements of customers and their interactions with computers
- Helped design and implement an observation laboratory that utilized video cameras, microphones, and data capture tools to conduct experiments on end users
- Found ways of content analyzing information and observations
- Presented findings, and made recommendations to upper management
- Human Resources; Organizational Behavior
- Human Resources; Organizational Behavior
- McHenry, K. M. and Ash, S. R. (2013). Knowledge Management and Collaboration: Generation X vs. Generation Y. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 4(12), 78-87.
- Ash, S. R. (2012). Quo Vadis HR? Trends in the USA. Journal of Management and Entrepreneurship, 5(2), 43-60.
- Joelle Elicker, Robert Lord, Steven Ash, Nicole Kohari, Bryce Hruska, Nicole McConnell, Megan Medvedeff. (2010). “Velocity as a Predictor of Performance Satisfaction, Mental Focus, and Goal Revision,” Applied Psychology: An International Review, Vol. 59, No. 3, 495-514.
- McHenry, W. and Ash, S.R. (2010). Generational Responses to Knowledge Management and Collaboration: Are GenX and GenY as Different as We Think? 43rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 43), Kauai, Hawaii.
- Liu, L., Grandon, E. E. and Ash, S. R. (2009). Trainee Reactions and Task Performance: A Study of Open Training in Object-Oriented Systems Development. Information Systems and E-Business Management, 7(1), 21-37. (ISI impact factor .75)
- Ash, S. R. (2008). Hispanics and Anglos: The role of group composition on satisfaction. Public Personnel Management, 37(1), 15 – 26. (ISI 5-year impact factor .45)
- Figler, R.A., and Ash, S.R. (2007). "Derived Demand and Human Resource Management: An Important Linkage in Organizational Strategy". European Journal of Social Sciences, 5(3), 88 - 95.
- Ash, S. R. (2007). Why Should Small Businesses Care About Diversity? Five Areas of Research that Influence Organizational Results. Small Enterprise Research, 15(9), 77-89.
- Dineen, B. R., Ling, J., Ash, S. R. and DelVecchio, D. (2007). Aesthetic Properties and Message Customization: Navigating the Dark Side of Web Recruitment. Journal of Applied Psychology, 92(2), 356 – 372. (ISI 5-year impact factor 6.85)
- Ash, S.R., Divoky, J.J. and Rothermel, M.A. (2006). ABCs of IEMBAs. Journal of the Academy of Business Education, Vol. 7.
- Ash, S. and Liu, L. (2006). Trainee Reactions: What Do We Really Know? Training & Management Development Methods, 20(5), 213 – 217.
- Ash, S. Weber, P., Vora, J. and Faggiani, A. (2004). "Hands of Uruguay. Journal of the International Academy for Case Studies", 10(1), 52 - 68.
- Ash, S. Weber, P., Vora, J. and Faggiani, A. (2004). "Manos Del Uruguay. Journal of the International Academy for Case Studies", 10(2), 11 - 22.
- Ash, S. and Ross, D. (2004). Crisis management through the lens of epidemiology. Business Horizons, 47(3), 49 – 57. (ISI impact factor – .9)
- Dineen, B., Ash, S., and Noe, R. (2002). A Web of Applicant Attraction: Person-Organization Fit in the Context of Web-Based Recruitment, Journal of Applied Psychology, 87(4), 723 – 734. (ISI 5-year impact factor 6.85)
- Ash, S. (2001). Diversity in Teams: The Role of Group Satisfaction Under Various Ethnic Compositions. Proceedings: The Midwest Academy of Management Conference, Toledo, OH.
- Weber, P. S., Weber, J. E. & Ash, S. R. (2001). ACE Technical. Case appearing in Business Marketing Management: A Strategic View of Industrial and Organizational Markets. 677-691. Hutt, M. D. & Speh, T. W. Harcourt College Publishers.
- Weber, J., Weber, P., and Ash, S. (2000). The Merchant Prince [Saudi Arabia]. Thunderbird International Business Review, 42(6), 755 - 772.
- Weber, P., Weber, J., and Ash, S. (1999). ACE Technology, Case Research Journal, 19(3), 1 - 18.
- Ash, S., Weber, P. and Weber, J. (1999). Juice Tree of Ohio (The Impact of External Environmental Forces on Strategy Formulation). North American Case Research Association, Santa Rosa, CA.
- Ash, S., Ross, D., and Bingham, H. (1998). The Organic Organization: The Juxtaposition of Epidemiology and Crisis Management, Proceedings: The Mountain Plains Management Conference, Denver, CO.
- Weber, J., Ash, S., and Weber, P. (1998). Side Effects of Incidental Computer Uses: Increased Confidence. Psychological Reports, August, 83, 211-214.
- Ross, D., Ash, S., Hanna, J., and Smith, B. (1997). Attitudes Toward Marketing by Marketing Students, Proceedings: Midwest Association of Business, Chicago, IL.
- Weber, P., Weber, J. and Ash, S. (1997). ACE Technology, Proceedings: North American Case Writers Association, Cincinnati, OH.
- Weber, J., Ash, S., and Weber, P. (1997). Making a Difference in Education with Technology: The benefits of cross-disciplinary instruction, Proceedings: International Association of Management, 231 – 236.
- Dailey, B., Whatley, A., Ash, S., and Steiner, R. (1996). The Effects of a Group Decision Support System on Culturally Diverse and Culturally Homogeneous Group Decision Making. Information & Management, 30(6), 281-289. (ISI 5-year impact factor 3.8)
- Ross, D., Ash, S., and Loudenback, L. (1994). Ethnocentrism in Travel Research: Why Would You Want to Go There? Proceedings: Association of Marketing Theory and Practice.
- Ash, S., and Weber, J. (1993). Recent Developments in Cognitive Psychology and their Application to Personnel Selection and Training, Proceedings: The Institute for Behavioral and Applied Management, 160 - 164 [Award Winning Paper].
- Ash, S. and Sautter, E. (1993). Consumer Perception of Risk in the Face of Organizational Crisis, Proceedings: Southern Marketing Association.
- Weber, J., and Ash, S. (1993). Effects of the Interview on Handicapped Applicants’ Prospects for Securing Employment. Proceedings: The Institute for Behavioral and Applied Management, 191 – 196.
- Ash, S. (1988). An Evaluation of Scroll Symbols and Their Role in Navigation on the AS/400. Proceedings: IBM Human Factors International Technical Conference.
- Selected for Leadership Akron class XXVII, a one-year community leadership program for the city of Akron, OH
- Inducted into Beta Gamma Sigma, National Business Honorary Society, 2007
- Inducted into Sigma Iota Epsilon, National Management Honorary Society, 2005
- Voted most influential faculty member by the graduate students of Franklin University for 1999-2000 academic year.
- Voted Outstanding Teacher of the Year at Sul Ross State University for the 1994-1995 academic year
- Selected Outstanding Graduate Student Teacher of the Year, New Mexico State University 1991
- Student Paper award for “Recent Developments in Cognitive Psychology and their Application to Personnel Selection and Training,” Proceedings: The Institute for Behavioral and Applied Management
- President, Doctoral Business Association, 1992-1993
- Faculty Advisor, Student Chapter, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), The University of Akron; and Franklin University
- Member: Academy of Management, Society for Human Resource Management, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, American Psychological Association.
- Received first place in the College of Business Chili cooking competition