Debmalya Mukherjee, Ph.D.
Dept/Program: Department of Management
Office: CBA 348
Phone: (330) 972-7039
- PhD (Business Administration), The University of Memphis, TN (2008)
- Master of Business Administration, Ohio University, OH (2003)
- L.L.B, The University of Calcutta, West Bengal, India (2000)
Professional & Academic Experience
Academic Affiliation and Highlights
- Professor, The University of Akron, Department of Management (2017 - Present)
- Visiting Scholar in International Business, University of Sydney, Australia (Fall 2017)
- Associate Professor, The University of Akron, Department of Management (2013 - 2017)
- Assistant Professor, The University of Akron, Department of Management (2008 - 2013)
Strategy: Offshoring Strategy and Performance Consequences, Innovation, Business Groups, Value Creation through Interorganizational Relationships.
International Business: Global Innovation, International Alliances, Cross-border Knowledge Transfer, Emerging Economies.
- Mukherjee. D., Lahiri, S., Ash, S.R., & Gaur, A.S. (2018). Search motives, local embeddedness and knowledge outcomes in offshoring. Journal of Business Research, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.10.035.
- Mukherjee. D., Makarius, E.E., Stevens, C.E. (2018). Business Group Reputation and affiliates' internationalization strategies. Journal of World Business, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwb.2017.12.003.
- Mudambi, R., Mudambi, S., Mukherjee, D., Scalera, V. (2017). Global Connectivity and the Evolution of Industrial Clusters: From Tires to Polymers in Northeast Ohio, Industrial Marketing Management, 61, 20-29.
- Stevens, C., Makarius, E., Mukherjee, D. (2015). It takes two to Tango: Signaling behavioral intent in SMNC’s foreign entry strategies, Journal of International Management, 21(3), 235-248.
- Nordtvedt, L., Mukherjee, D., Kedia. B. L. (2015). Cross-Border Learning, Technological Turbulence and Firm Performance, Management International Review, 55(1): 23-51.
- Scalera, V., Mukherjee, D., Perri, A., & Mudambi, R. (2014). A longitudinal study of MNE innovation: The case of Goodyear, Multinational Business Review, 22 (3): 270-293 (Outstanding Paper of 2014).
- Datta, A., Mukherjee, D., Jessup, L. (2015). Understanding Commercialization of Technological Innovation: Taking Stock and Moving Forward. R&D Management 45(3), 215-249.
- Aupperle, K., Acar, W. Mukherjee, D. (2014). Revisiting The Fit-Performance Thesis Half a Century Later: A Historical Financial Analysis of Chandler’s Own Matched and Mismatched Firms, Business History, 56 (3), 341-371.
- Mukherjee, D., Gaur, A. S., & Datta, A. (2013). Creating value through offshore outsourcing: An integrative framework. Journal of International Management. December, 19, (4), 377–389.
- Mukherjee, D., Hanlon, S., Kedia, B.L., & Srivastava, P. (2012). Organizational identification among global virtual team members: The role of individualism–collectivism and uncertainty avoidance, Cross Cultural Management: An International Journal 19(4): 526-545.
- Mukherjee, D. (2013). Indian Business Process Offshoring Industry: Evolution and Transformation. In Global Strategy (Mike Peng 3rd Ed), South-Western, Cengage Learning, Teaching Case.
- Mukherjee, D., Gaur, A. S., Gaur, S. S., & Schmid, F. (2013). External and internal influences on R&D alliance formation: Evidence from German SMEs, Journal of Business Research, 66, (11), 2178–2185.
- Jain, N., Hausknecht, D., & Mukherjee. D. (2013). Location determinants for emerging market firms, Management Decision 51(2): 396-418.
- Mukherjee, D. & Kedia, B.L. (2012). Offshoring and MNC Strategy. In Merchant, H. & Verbeke, A. (Eds.), Handbook of International Strategic Management, Elgar Publishing.
- Mukherjee, D., Renn, R.., Kedia, B.L., & Mukherjee, D. (2012). Development of Interorganizational Trust in Virtual Organizations: An Integrative Framework. European Business Review 24(3): 255-271.
- Mukherjee, D., Lahiri, S., Mukherjee. D. & Billing, T.K. (2012). Leading Virtual Teams: How do Cognitive, Social, and Behavioral Capabilities Matter? , Management Decision (50: 2).
- Lahiri, S., Kedia, B.L. & Mukherjee, D. (2012). The Impact of Management Capability on the Resource-Performance Linkage: Examining Indian Outsourcing Providers. Journal of World Business, 47: 145-155.
- Gaur, A. S., Mukherjee, D., Gaur, S. S., & Schmid, F. (2011) Environmental and Firm-Level Influences on Inter-organizational Trust and SME performance. Journal of Management Studies 48:8, 1752-1781.
- Srinivasan, M., Mukherjee, D., & Gaur, A. (2011). Buyer-supplier partnership quality and supply chain performance: Moderating role of risks, and environmental uncertainty European Management Journal 29(4), 260-271.
- Billing, T., Mukherjee, D., Kedia, B.L., Lahiri, S. (2010). Top Executives’ International Expertise Commitment: Exploring Potential Antecedents, Leadership and Organization Development Journal, 31(8): 687-704.
- Kedia, B.L. & Mukherjee, D. (2009). Understanding Offshoring: A Research Framework Based on Disintegration, Location and Externalization Advantages, Journal of World Business, 44(3), 250-261.
- Kedia, B.L., Mukherjee, D., & Lahiri, S. (2006). Indian Business Groups: Evolution and Transformation, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 23: 559-577.
- Kedia, B.L., Lahiri, S., & Mukherjee, D. (2006). BRIC Economies: Earlier growth constraints, contemporary transformations, and future potential and key challenges. In S. C. Jain (Ed.) Emerging Economies and the Transformation of International Business—Brazil, Russia, India, and China. pp. 46-74. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd.
- Dean’s Faculty Excellence Award in Service, University of Akron, 2015
- Dean’s Faculty Excellence Award in Research, University of Akron, 2012
- Dean’s Faculty Excellence Award in Teaching, University of Akron, 2012
- FRC Summer Grant, 2017, University of Akron
- Emerald Outstanding Paper Award (Multinational Business Review, 2015)
- Journal of World Business Best Reviewer Award, 2015
- John F. Mee, Contribution to Management History Paper Award, AOM (2010)
- Institute for Global Business Summer Grant, The University of Akron (2010)
- CBA Summer Research Grant, The University of Akron (2009)
- Morton Best Dissertation Award, The University of Memphis, TN, USA (2008)
- Doctoral Dissertation Grant, CIBER, The University of Memphis (2008)
- Best Doctoral Paper Award, Southern Management Association, Clearwater Beach, FL (2006)