Dept/Program: Department of Management
Office: CBA 352
Phone: (330) 972-8108
- Ohio University - Doctorate of Philosophy (In Progress)
- May 2014 - Customer Driven Master's of Business Administration, University of Memphis
- December 2009 - Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Ashland University
Professional & Academic Experience
- Ad Hoc Reviewer - Information Systems Frontiers
- Doctoral Consortium Coordinator - 2018 United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship (USASBE)
- Administrator and Judge - 2017 International Video Pitch Competition
- Guest Judge - 2017 Idea Bazaar at Ohio University
2016 - 2017: Graduate Assistant, Center for Entrepreneurship, Ohio University
- Create framework for tracking Center metrics
- Supervise undergraduate student teams in Center marketing efforts
- Administer International Video Pitch Competition
- Advise students on starting companies based on ideas
2014 - 2017: Marketing Manager/Sales, iMotions Inc., Software Startup
- Manage and execute global lead generation strategies to power growth
- Build and test sales processes before rolling out and training global team
- Develop efforts around new product launches, partner marketing and sales onboarding
- Create new analysis methods and tools for academics and data scientists
2013 - 2014: Facilitator, Memphis Innovation Bootcamp, Innovation Education
- Teach Design Thinking and innovation to participants in a multi-day session
- Coach teams through empathy-based processes to arrive at definitive problem
- Instruct participants on various methods employed to generate creative solutions
2013 - 2014: Graduate Assistant, FedEx Institute of Technology, University of Memphis
- Generate marketing and outreach strategies for on-campus capabilities and expertise
- Collaborate on research projects as directed by Assistant VP of Technology Transfer
- Assist in pre- and post-launch activities related to Crews Center for Entrepreneurship
- Use 3D printer to create prototypes and other related models
2011 - 2012: Executive Consultant, Phi Power Communications, Marketing Research
- Prospect leads in need of market research services
- Develop relationships with contacts at Fortune 500 companies
- Determine client needs and prescribe applications of market research technology
2010 - 2011: Product Manager, Fathom Online Marketing, Online Marketing
- Conceptualize new product line that aligns online and offline marketing campaigns
- Lead research and development for QR code marketing, geo-targeting, mobile marketing and promotions
- Implement social media strategies for clients, direct internal teams executing strategies
- Build channel alliances and assist in sales process to resellers, distributors and franchises
- Create sales pitches and present to marketing Directors and C-level prospective clients
2008 - 2017: Marketing Analyst, OneLinc, Financial Data Startup
- Develop marketing material and create sales pitches for potential partnerships
- Research, assess and pursue strategic market opportunities and alliances
- Identify and contact potential partners to create long term relationships
- Conduct competitive market analysis and continually monitor industry trends
Other Skills and Experience
- Proficient in eye-tracking and facial analysis technologies and study methodology, including for usage in marketing and user experience context
- Regularly engaged with startups, angel funds, and other pieces of startup ecosystem to provide advice and recommendations
- Expert in setup and operational requirements for physiological research laboratories
Honorary Affiliations and Awards
- Lifeworks Leadership
- Christian leadership program focused on service leadership and revitalizing communities
- Ashland Business Scholar - Ashland University
- Alpha Lambda Delta Honors Fraternity
- Golden Key International Honors Society
- Winning Team - Athgo Global Innovation Forum startup contest
- Worked on concept utilizing unmanned aerial vehicles to produce GIS intelligence immediately after a disaster occurrence
- Guest Lecturer on Servant Leadership for Ohio University Christian Business Leaders (2017, Athens, OH)
- St. Paul Greek Festival Volunteer (2012-2017, North Royalton, OH)
- Pregnancy Resource Center Volunteer (2016-2017, Athens, OH)
- Cafe Meal Volunteer (2011-2017, Medina, OH)
- Mid-South Food Bank Fogelman Feeds Event Volunteer (2011-2015, Memphis, TN)
- International Orthodox Christian Charities Mission Trip Volunteer (2012, Minneapolis, MN)
- Ashland County United Way Promotional Video Producer (2008, Ashland, OH)
- Service Day Participant (2009, Cleveland, OH)
My research is focused on entrepreneurship, angel investors, venture capital, artificial intelligence, learning simulations, as well opportunity development and innovation within startup environments. I investigate these topics using a mixture of qualitative and quantitative methods, as well as physiological sensors and linguistic techniques.
Working Title: Simulating the Angel Investor Group Due Diligence Process to Improve Investment Opportunities in Seed-Stage Startups
Committee: David Moore, Luke Pittaway, and Ikenna Uzuegbunam
Summary: Angel investor groups are a critical part of the entrepreneurial financing ecosystem for early-stage companies. Angel investors part of these groups invest either alone or as part of a democratic fund. Many companies that submit proposals to angel investor groups are excluded from funding early in the process, and less than 30% of the companies invested in generate a return larger than the original investment. Computer simulations provide experiential learning exercises which soften the losses of real-life learning experiences. This research explores the impact of learning simulations on angel investors and entrepreneurs as they navigate the investment process.
2013 - 2017: Adjunct Instructor, Ashland University
Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Instructor for class teaching prisoners how to effectively create a business plan
- Redesigned course to better fit needs of population being served and limitations
- Directed student business plans to create usable document for real business
2016: Adjunct Instructor, Ohio University
Introduction to Management Information Systems
- Taught introduction to MIS as part of the Integrated Business Cluster (IBC)
- Evaluated class projects which spanned multiple courses & disciplines
- Provided guidance and feedback on developing business plans for student teams
- Redesigned course in online course management platform
- Overall evaluation (Section 106, Spring 2016): 4.5 / 5 ("Effectiveness of instructor.")
- Course mean (all faculty teaching course): 4.3 / 5 ("Effectiveness of instructor.")
- 40 total students
- Overall evaluation (Section 106, Fall 2016): 4.5 / 5 ("Effectiveness of instructor.")
- Course mean (all faculty teaching course): 4.2 / 5 ("Effectiveness of instructor.")
- 41 total students
- Overall evaluation (Section 107, Fall 2016): 4.5 / 5 ("Effectiveness of instructor.")
- Course mean (all faculty teaching course): 4.2 / 5 ("Effectiveness of instructor.")
- 42 total students
Research in Progress
- Fox, Alexa K., George D. Deitz, Marla B. Royne, and Joseph D. Fox, "The Face of Contagion: Consumer Response to Service Failure Depiction in Online Reviews," European Journal of Marketing, (status: under second-round review for special issue on "Neuromarketing").
- Fox, Joseph D., Luke Pittaway & Ikenna Uzuegbunam, "Simulations in Entrepreneurship Education: Serious Games and Learning through Play," Entrepreneurship Education and Pedagogy, (status: under first round review).
- Fox, Joseph D., Luke Pittaway, and Alexa K. Fox, "Venture Capital Investment in Artificial Intelligence: Do Online Communities of Practice Discuss Similar Opportunities?" International Review of Entrepreneurship, (status: under first-round review).
- Fox, Joseph D., "Opportunity Discovery Using Artificial Intelligence," Target Journal: Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, (status: manuscript in preparation for submission).
- Fox, Joseph D., Luke Pittaway and David Moore, "A Documentation Analysis of Informal Angel Investor Groups," Target: Venture Finance, (status: manuscript in preparation for submission).
- Fox, Joseph D., and Luke Pittaway, "How Entrepreneurs Learn from Failure: Linguistic Evidence Supporting the Grief Recovery Framework," Target: Journal of Business Venturing, (status: data analysis in progress).
- Fox, Joseph D., and Ikenna Uzuegbunam, "An Exploratory Study of Philanthropic Giving in Social Ventures," Target: Journal of Business Venturing, (status: data analysis in progress).
- Deitz, George D. Alexa K. Fox, and Joseph D. Fox, "I Agree to the Terms and Conditions: An Event Study of Privacy Breaches on Firm Performance," (status: data analysis in progress).
- Fox, Joseph D., "Using Physiological Signals to Improve Educational Outcomes in Entrepreneurship Simulations," Target: Simulation & Gaming, (status: literature review in progress)
- Crawford, Christopher, and Joseph D. Fox, "The Language of Entrepreneurial Outliers," (status: data collection in progress).
Pittaway, Luke, Rachida Aissaoui, and Joseph D. Fox, "Social Construction and Entrepreneurial Opportunity," (status: under review for inclusion in book on Philosophy & Entrepreneurship).
Fox, Joseph D., "Physiological Data & Entrepreneurship Simulations," Ohio University Educational Technology Conference, April 8, 2017, Athens, Ohio.
Research Assistant as part of Crawford, Christopher. (2017) Science of Organizations Grant for $205,000 from the National Science Foundation for Modeling the Emergence of Outliers in Entrepreneurship.