Erin Makarius, Ph.D.
Title: Assistant Professor
Dept/Program: Department of Management
Office: CBA 364
Dept/Program: Department of Management
Office: CBA 364
- Ph.D., Organizational Behavior & Human Resources with a Minor in Quantitative Psychology, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, (2010)
- M.B.A., Major: Management, John Carroll University, Cleveland, Ohio, (2005)
- B.S.B.A., Management and Marketing, John Carroll University, Cleveland, Ohio, (2004)
Professional & Academic Experience
- Assistant Professor, Department of Management, University of Akron, College of Business Administration
- Assistant Professor, Department of Management and Marketing, Canisius College,Wehle School of Business
- Instructor, Department of Management and Human Resources, The Ohio State University, Fisher College of Business
- Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant, Fisher College of Business, Department of Management and Human Resources, The Ohio State University
- Graduate Leadership Coordinator, John Carroll University, Boler School of Business, Program for Leadership Development
- Human Resources, Information Technology Department, Progressive Insurance
- Project Management, Information Technology Department, Progressive Insurance
Professional Affiliations and Service:
- Academy of International Business
- Academy of Management
- Organizational Behavior Teaching Society
- Society for Human Resource Management
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Refereed Journal Publications
- Makarius, E. & Stevens, C. (2017). Drivers of Collective Human Capital Flow: The Impact of Reputation and Labor Market Conditions Journal of Management, Forthcoming.
- Makarius, E., Stevens. C., & Tenhiälä, A. (2017). Tether or stepping stone? The relationship between perceived external reputation and collective voluntary turnover rates. Organization Studies, Forthcoming.
- Makarius, E. & Larson, B. (2017). Changing the perspective of virtual work: Building virtual intelligence at the individual level. Academy of Management Perspectives, 31, 159-178.
- Makarius, E. & Srinivasan, M. (2017). Addressing Skills Mismatch: Utilizing Talent Supply Chain Management to Enhance Collaboration between Companies and Talent Suppliers. Business Horizons, 60, 495-505.
- Makarius, E. (2017). Edutainment: Using Technology to Enhance the Management Learner Experience. Management Teaching Review, 2, 17-25.
- Stevens, C., Makarius, E., & Mukherjee, D. (2015). It Takes Two to Tango: Signaling Behavioral Intent in Service Multinationals’ Foreign Entry Strategies. Journal of International Management, 21, 235-248.
- Wilk, S., & Makarius, E. (2015). Choosing the Company You Keep: Racial Relational Demography Outside and Inside of Work. Organization Science, 26(5), 1316-1331.
- Stevens, C., & Makarius, E. (2015) Overcoming information asymmetry in foreign entry strategy: The impact of reputation. Global Strategy Journal, 5: 256-272.
- Ellingson, J., Heggestad, E., & Makarius, E. (2012). Personality Retesting for Managing Intentional Distortion. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 102, 1063-1076
- Won the 2013 Jeanneret Award for Excellence in the Study of Individual or Group Assessment by the SIOP Awards Committee
Peer Reviewed Book Chapters & Published Conference Proceedings
- Makarius, E. & Wilk, S. (2016). Big Fish in Little Ponds. In C.E. Carroll’s Sage Encyclopedia of Corporate Reputation. Sage Publications.
- Makarius, E. (2016). Edutainment: Using Technology to Increase Student Engagement. Proceedings of the Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference in Canton, OH.
- Makarius, E., Bible, S., & Vijayaraman, B. (2016). Virtual Selection Training. Proceedings of the Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference in Canton, OH.
- Makarius, E. & Stevens, C. (2016). The Impact of Reputation and Labor Market Conditions on Collective Human Capital Flow. Best Paper Proceedings of the Seventy-Sixth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management in Anaheim, CA.
- Best Paper Award of the Human Resources Division at the Academy of Management
- Makarius, E., & Dachner, A. (2015). Building a Digital Community of Learning: The Effects of Social Media use in Higher Education. Proceedings of the Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference in La Verne, CA.
- Makarius, E. & Wilk, S. (2013). Big fish in little ponds: A multilevel approach to reputation in organizations. In Paul S. Adler (Ed.), Best Paper Proceedings of the Seventy-Third Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, ISSN 1543-8643.
- Best Paper Award Finalist of the Careers Division at the Academy of Management
- Makarius, E. & Vijayaraman, B. (2013). Preparing students for the virtual world of work. Proceedings of the Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference in Asheville, North Carolina.
- Makarius, E. & Meyer, G. (2012). Macro-OB can be fun, too! Engaging students in organizational structure. Proceedings of the Organizational Behavior Teaching Conference in Ontario, Canada.
- Heneman, R., & Coyne, E. (2007). Implementing total reward strategies. SHRM Foundation Effective Practice Guidelines.
- Lewicki, R, Greenberger, D., & Coyne, E. (2007). Pockets of resistance in sub-cultures and their efects on organizations. In J. Langan-Fox, C. Cooper, and R. Klimoski (Eds.), Research Companion to the Dysfunctional Workplace: Management Challenges and Symptoms.