R Ray Gehani, Ph.D.
Dept/Program: Department of Management
Office: CBA 358
Phone: (330) 972-8140
- Ph.D., The City University of New York (Baruch), Business-Strategic Management, Dissertation Topic: Relationships between a firm's performance and its allocation of resources to Technology Value-Chain: An exploratory study. Advisor: Professor S. P. Sethi (Baruch College). Nominated for admission to Beta Gamma Sigma society. (October 1996)
- Master of Philosophy, The City University of New York (Baruch), (October 1995)
- Graduate Business Diploma in International Management, International Management Institute (IMI), N. Delhi (affiliated to IMI, Geneva), (April 1987)
- Doctor of Engineering- Polymer Science and Technology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, (March 1981)Dissertation Topic: Study of structure and performance characteristics of high-tech film products. Advisor: Professor Ichitaro Uematsu, Chairman Polymer Society of Japan, (1980-81)
- Diploma in Japanese Language, Osaka Univ. of Foreign Studies, Japan, (August 1977)
- Master of Technology - Textile/Fibers, Indian Institute of Technology, N. Delhi, (January 1977)
- Bachelor of Technology- Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, (February 1973)
Professional & Academic Experience
University of Akron, Akron, Ohio
Associate Professor (full time) Aug. 2003-to date.
Assistant Professor (full time) Aug. 1997 - Jul. 2003
Rochester Institute of Technology, New York
Assistant Professor (full time) Sep.1990 - Jun. 1997
City University of New York (Baruch College)
Adjunct Lecturer (part)Sep. 1988 - Aug. 1990
Undergraduate Courses Taught
Strategy & Business Policy - International Management
Production & Operations Management- Management Science
Total Quality Management- Managerial Behavior/Organization Behavior
Consultant, Mitsui Trading Company and Toray Industries, leading enterprises of Japan, to develop market applications and demand for high-tech composite materials in emerging markets (1986-87).
Researcher, Toray Research Center, Toray Industries Inc. (Japan's leading chemical/materials company) (1981-1983): Co-developed technology for high performance materials in the Pioneering R&D Center. Visited many Japanese plants under AOTS Exchange.
Mombusho Research Fellow, Tokyo Institute of Technology (October 1977-April 1981): Conducted research on structure-property correlations of bio-polymeric films at Japan's top-most national engineering university.
Osaka University of Foreign Studies (April 1977 - April 1981).
Seven years of industrial and management experience (1972-1977; 1987-1988) in operations, new product development, project management, at two leading tire-cord manufacturers, and as a General Manager - Corporate Development for a General Tires subsidiary. Worked in continuous process industry for high performance materials with Top-Ten companies in an emerging economy.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Gehani, R. Ray, and Gehani, G. Tom, “Air Transportation in Evolving Supply Chain Strategy,” for “Aviation Security Management,” edited by Andrew Thomas, accepted for publication, Chapter 3, Pages 25-40.
- Gehani, R. Ray. “National Innovation System and Disruptive Innovations in Tire and Rubber Technology,” Journal of Technology Management and Innovation, Vol. 2, Issue 4, Pages 55-72.
- Gehani R. Ray. “Technology Roadmapping for Commercializing Strategic Innovations,” Journal of Technology Management and Innovation, Vol. 2, Issue 2, Pages 31-45.
- Gehani, R. Ray. 2006. Mary Parker Follett's Constructive Conflict for Innovative Global Business Enterprise... "Management Decision incorporating the Journal Of Management History", (Accepted for Publication; In Print).
- Gehani, R. Ray. 2002. Evolving Leader-Member Exchange Theory and Market-Oriented Lateral Leaders in Turbulent Global Markets, "Marketing Management Journal". 12(2): 53-66.
- Gehani, R. Ray. 2002. Reassessing Chester Barnard's Functions of the Executive in the context of the Knowledge-based Firm. "Management Decision incorporating the Journal Of Management History", 40(10): 980-991.
- Gehani, R. Ray. 2001. Enhancing Brand Equity and Reputational Capital with Enterprise-wide Complementary Innovations, "Marketing Management Journal". 11(1) Spring: 35-48. (Peer blind-reviewed).
- Gehani, R. Ray. 2001. Revisiting The False Promise of the Japanese Miracle For Discontinuous Innovation Under Economic Stagnation, "Global Focus (formerly Business & the Contemporary World)" Summer, 13(2): 197-212. (Peer blind-reviewed).
- Gehani, R. Ray. 2000. Significance of Cross-cultural Trust in Streamlining Supply-chains for Global Enterprises, "Global Business Review", 2000, 1(2): 173-192. (Peer blind-reviewed).
- Gehani, R. Ray. 1999. Architectural Concentration and the Catastrophic Financial Crises in the Newly Industrializing Economies of East Asia, "Global Focus (Formerly Business & the Contemporary World)", 11(2): 121-137. (Peer blind-reviewed).
- Gehani, R. Ray. 1998. "Management of Technology and Operations". New York: John Wiley & Sons. 426 pp + xviii.
- Gehani, R. Ray and Gehani, Rashmi A. Emerging Technology Trade Triangle: Japan joins Mexico, USA, and Canada. Chapter 9 in Gibson, David; Heitor, Manuel, and Ibarra-Yunez, Alejandro. In Press. "Connecting People, Ideas, and resources Across Communities". West Lafayette: Purdue University Press.
- Gehani, R. Ray. 1999. ISO 9000 Quality Standards. in "Handbook of Management of Technology". Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press.
- Gehani, R. Ray. 1998. The Global Economic Society and the Polycultural Teams, in Sitaram, Michael and Sitaram, K. S. eds. Civic Discourse: "Multiculturalism, Cultural Diversity, and Global Communications", Stamford, CT: Ablex Publishing Corporation. Chapter 26.
Published Conference Proceedings
- Haas, Jon, Gehani, R. Ray, and Petrovic, Victor. 2006. Critical Thinking and Sales Education. "2006 National Conference in Sales and Sales Management", Minneapolis, March 1-4.
- Gehani, R. Ray. Technology Standards and Global Competitiveness in High-Velocity Technology-intensive Enterprises, Asia-Pacific Decision Sciences Institute Meeting Proceedings, Tokyo, July 24-27, 2000.
- Gehani, R. Ray. Technology and Trust in Global Enterprise Supply-Chain, Asia-Pacific Decision Sciences Institute Meeting Proceedings, Tokyo, July 24-27, 2000.
- Dunphy, Steve; Meyer, Dave, and Gehani, R. Ray. Teaching Miles and Snow's Adaptation Model using Alfred Hitchcock's North By Northwest. Manuscript # 99-058 R was submitted to Journal of Management Education. The editor rejected the manuscript. The paper was revised, resubmitted and accepted for the Proceedings, Fall 1999 Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute.
- Gehani, R. Ray. East Asian Miracle To Mess: The Trajectory from Fast Growth to the Financial Failure," 30thAnnual Decision Sciences Institute Meeting Proceedings, Athens, July 4-7, 1999, pp. 2028-2030.
- Gehani, R. Ray. Firm Level Strategic Alternatives for setting Technology Standards in the Emerging Global Economic Architecture. 30thAnnual Decision Sciences Institute Meeting Proceedings, Athens, July 1-4, 1999, pp. 1036-1038.
- Gehani, R. Ray. Competing (country-level) models for setting technology standards in a global economy, 29thAnnual Decision Sciences Institute Meeting, Las Vegas, November 21-24, 1998.
- Gehani, R. Ray. ole of corporate social contract in the age of drastic downsizing: The case of Eastman Kodak and Rochester, NY, 29thAnnual Decision Sciences Institute Meeting, Las Vegas, November 21-24, 1998. With Kenneth E. Aupperle.
Published Book Reviews
- Quinn, James Brian, Jordan J. Baruch, and Karen Anne Zien. 2000 Innovation Explosion: using Intellect, New York: Free Press. Reviewed in "Global Focus (Formerly Business and the Contemporary World)", 12(4), 143-145.
- McIntyre, John R. Editor. 1997. Japan's Technical Standards: Implications for Global Trade and Competitiveness, Westport, CN: Quorum Books, in "Business and the Contemporary World", 9(4).
- Inducted in the Omicron Delta Kappa Society, through the Circle in the University of Akron,"in recognition of conspicuous attainments and service in collegiate activities. April 5, 2006.
- Nominated as one of"20 Achievers to Watch in 2000," by Northern Ohio Live, January, 2000.
- Silver Medal for second rank in graduating class of 1987 (International Management);
Received Merit scholarship for academic excellence; 1986-87.
- Japanese National Fellowship by Mombusho (Ministry of Education), Government of Japan, 1977-1981.
- Ranked first by academic performance, Master of Technology, 1976.
- Received National Council for Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) scholarship, 1973-74.
- Awarded the Best Project Award (Epoxy process development), IITK, 1973.
- Received Merit scholarships for academic excellence, 1971-72.