Share on Google+

School of Accountancy Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program


The George W. Daverio School of Accountancy will be offering a VITA Program for members of the University of Akron community (current students, faculty and staff with valid UA picture Ids) who are low and moderate income earners and cannot prepare their own tax returns.

The program is free to current students, staff and faculty of the University of Akron who:

  • earn $49,000 or less,
  • are eligible for the earned income tax credit or are full-time students, and
  • carry a valid University of Akron picture ID.

Persons who do not satisfy all eligibility requirements cannot be helped through this program. This program complements other similar programs that are offered on campus.

The location of the VITA program is the College of Business Administration Building, Room 106.

Dates of Service
VITA services will be offered from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Saturdays, starting January 30 and ending April 10, 2010. We will be closed on March 13 and 20 for Spring Break.

In order to assure effective service, the last appointment for each of those dates will be taken at 12:00 noon.

All appointments for this program have now been filled. No more applicants will be accepted.

Items Needed
Items you need to bring to the VITA site to have your tax returns prepared are:

  • Proof of identification (Picture ID)
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Current year's tax package if you received one
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W- 2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year's Federal and State returns if available
  • Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
  • Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

Please call (330) 972-7586 for further information. Unfortunately, we cannot take appointments at this number. Registration must be made via the online form.

If you have additional questions, please e-mail Sharon Green at: