MRC Account Request and Training
Individuals needing access to MRC instrumentation must complete the following steps to obtain a user account.
1) Complete the appropriate User Account Request Form:
- Make sure you completely fill the form out online before printing.
- Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
- DO NOT mark anything below the Administration USE Only line.
- EMPL. ID - This is your Employee or Student ID # found on the back of your Zipcard
- UANet ID - This is your University email ID (email@example.com)
- PIN number - This is used for swipe access to the labs (cannot start with zero)
- Users will receive account login ID and Password after training via email to their University of Akron e-mail account.
- Initial access is granted to the Mercury 300 and Inova 400 in KNCL 119.
2) Create an account on the University's Facility Online Manger (FOM) if needed.
- Visit https://uafom.uakron.edu to get started.
- Follow the FOM Usage Guide for instructions on how to setup a new account.
3) Attend a Training Session
- Use FOM to request access to the "NMR - Agilent 300 MHz (KNCL 119) " instrument (Section 3 of the FOM Usage Guide). Be sure to indicate your availability on the application form. The more availability information you provide, the earlier your training session can be scheduled. Training typically lasts around 45-60 minutes.
- Bring the completed and signed User Account Request form to your training session. Training will be denied for incomplete or missing forms.
- After the initial training session, users should practice with co-workers or at another training session until they are confident they can operate the instrument on their own.
4) Complete Training Exam
- You will need to request an exam via email (Dr. Jessi Baughman) if you didn't schedule it at the end of your training session. Exams last about 15 minutes.
- You will be expected to bring a properly prepared NMR sample that you will manually lock and shim. You will then run a standard 1D experiment with the parameters given and produce a phased plot.
- Your NMR login and FOM account will be activated upon passing the exam.
- The exam will be rescheduled for 1 week if you fail. Failing a second time will require re-attending a training session before the exam can be taken again.
- Exams must be completed within 6 months of training or else you will be required to reschedule training.
5) Advanced NMR Training on high-field instruments
- Users requiring advanced training for Solution-State NMR should contact Dr. Venkat Dudipala KNCL 132c.