Viewing & accepting aid
To view your financial aid online:
- Log into My Akron with your UANet ID and password
- Click on "Access My... Student Center"
- Scroll down to "Finances"
- Under the Finances tab, click on "View Financial Aid"
- Select the aid year that you wish to view
To accept/decline/reduce your Federal Direct Loans:
- In My Akron, click on "Accept/Decline Awards."
- Notice than an overview of your financial aid for the Award Year is shown at the top. Financial aid is split over the terms or semesters for which we anticipate you will be enrolled (Summer, Fall, and/or Spring). If you will not be enrolled for one of the semesters shown, contact us.
- Check boxes in the the "Accept" column for the Federal Direct Loans you choose to accept; check boxes in the "Decline" column for the loans you wish to decline.
- You do not need to accept all of the loans offered to you. You can reduce loan(s) by entering the desired amount into the box in the "Accepted" column after you have checked the "Accept" box.
- Click "Submit."
- Click "Yes" to continue
- If the process was completed successfully, a "Submit Confirmation" page will appear.
If you are a first-time borrower
If you are a first-time borrower of Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan(s) at the University of Akron, you must complete additional requirements before the loan funds can be disbursed (applied) to your student account against your University charges.
You must complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note) at StudentLoans.gov.
Guidance for completing these steps may be found here:
Things to keep in mind:
- Grants, scholarships, and "awards" are automatically accepted on your behalf in My Akron.
- Pell Grants and Ohio College Opportunity Grants (OCOG) shown in My Akron are based on full-time enrollment, which is 12+ credits for undergraduate students. If your enrollment is less than full-time, these grants will automatically pro-rate at the time of disbursement to match your enrollment.
- You cannot accept/decline/reduce awards that are shown in My Akron as estimates.
- OCOG estimates will be finalized when eligibility information is received from the State of Ohio. This typically occurs in the few weeks before the first day of classes.
- PLUS/GradPLUS/Private Education loan estimates require additional steps.
- You must be enrolled at least half-time in order to be eligible for Federal loans (subsidized, unsubsidized, PLUS, and/or GradPLUS). Half-time enrollment is six credits for undergraduate students; five credits for graduate/law students. If you are not enrolled at least half-time, these loans will still appear in My Akron as part of your financial aid award, but cannot disburse (apply) to your student account against University charges.