Non-degree admission

What is non-degree admission?

Non-degree admission may be granted to a person who wishes to take particular courses but who is not working toward a graduate degree. This admission status is valid for one year and permits a student to take unlimited credits of graduate coursework. Graduate courses taken under this admission status may be applied later to a graduate degree program but only when all requirements for full admission have been met, including submission of all transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores, etc. and with the approval of the appropriate academic department. ALL students, including non-degree seeking, are expected to maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average.

Students should contact the Graduate Director of the appropriate department to determine if courses taken while a non-degree seeking student will apply toward a graduate degree program.

Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

Not all courses offered are available to non-degree seeking students. Academic departments can advise if a course is open to non-degree students.

Who is Eligible to Apply for Non-Degree Status?

Any individual having an earned baccalaureate degree may apply for non-degree admission.

How to Apply for Non-Degree Admission

Applications are to be made online (additional details here). A non-refundable fee of $45 (domestic) or $70 (international) must accompany the online application. Students should indicate in the application that non-degree status is desired. Proof of an earned baccalaureate degree is required. All students, with the exception of those having earned their baccalaureate degree from The University of Akron, should provide a copy of their diploma to meet this requirement.

UA Net ID and Password

UANet ID (university e-mail address allows a student to register on the web) and Password may be obtained in-person at Bierce Library, Room 69 or by contacting the Help Desk at (330) 972-6888.

Course Registration and Payment Information

Registration for courses can be done in-person at Hazzleton E. Simmons Hall or via the internet in My Akron.

Tuition, fees, and payment information can be accessed through the Office of Student Accounts

Zip Card (student identification card) can be obtained in Simmons Hall. You MUST be registered for classes before obtaining a Zip Card.

Parking Permits, Books, and Supplies

Parking permits can be obtained in the Office of Parking Services.

Books and supplies can be purchased at Barnes & Noble Bookstores located on the third floor of the Student Union as well as the third floor of the Polsky Building.