Learning outcome for 3450:411/511 Abstract Algebra I:
Upon completion of this course, students are expected to:
- Understand the notion of a group and a ring.
- Understand the structure and properties of various canonical types of groups (including cyclic groups and groups of permutations) and canonical types of rings (including polynomial rings and modular rings),
- Use the concepts of isomorphism and homomorphism for groups and rings,
- Analyze and demonstrate examples of subgroups, cosets, ideals, and integral domains,
- Produce rigorous proofs of propositions/theorems arising in the context of abstract algebra.