DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
Welcome to the exciting world of UA Psychology
We are the Psychology Department at The University of Akron; we are a busy, active, and thriving place. We encourage anyone interested in psychology as a major, minor or for graduate studies to visit us. Our faculty are dedicated and provide high quality teaching both in the classroom and one-on-one in our research labs.
Whether you're a prospective student, current student or just checking us out, if you have any questions please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Psychology Department Updates Summer 2023
Undergraduate program highlights
- You'll have opportunities to work one-on-one with a faculty member and graduate students on an independent research project.
- Take courses in advanced research design and statistics.
- Get credit and hands-on experience as part of our Field Experience Seminar.
- Students in the UA Honors College, participate in special seminars, research experiences, and many other unique and useful academic opportunities.
We have three graduate programs in Psychology. Each has its own particular emphasis, but all three intersect in: joint research efforts, cross-disciplinary curriculum experiences, a unified foundational curriculum in psychology, and to create a shared psychology community.
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology program, offers doctoral and terminal master's degrees, and is one of the older and more established programs in the country. The I/O doctoral program has been rated in the top ten by most available ranking systems including those based purely on research productivity.
- Counseling Psychology doctoral program has one of the best research track records in the country and consistently has among the best pass rates on the national licensure exam (EPPP).
- The Adult Development and Aging (ADA) program focuses on emotions, behaviors, and cognitions of adults and is the only program like it in the state of Ohio.
Our graduate students come from all over the United States and internationally.
Our faculty is a strong and committed group of teachers/scholars who are passionate about their research, their students, and the educational process.
- All UA psychology faculty publish and present papers regularly and are involved in various professional organizations (e.g., APA, SIOP, GSA, APS).
- Most of our faculty review regularly for scholarly journals and many serve on editorial boards and as editors and associate editors of journals.
- Our faculty value high quality teaching in both in the classroom and one-on-one in our research labs.
Co-PI, Trauma Informed Care Planning from Summit County
Co-PI, HIV risk reduction intervention for transwomen with intimate partner victimization
Co-I, Computerized Intervention for Reducing Intimate Partner Violence for Perinatal Women Seeking Mental Health Treatment
Co-PI, High Resolution Diffusion Tensor Imaging of the Cerebellum and Brainstem in Type I Chiari Malformation: Associations with Cognitive Function and Symptomatology, Conquer Chiari Foundation Grant
- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Program
- Faculty & Staff
- Advising & Careers
- Counseling Clinic
- Give Now
- About Us
Ph.D. Program Areas
Institutes, Centers, and Groups
- Center for the History of Psychology
- Center for Organizational Research
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology Graduate Students
- Department of Psychology Counseling Clinic
- Department of Psychology Undergraduate Advising
- Institute for Life-Span Development and Gerontology
- Psi Chi National Honor Society
Log-ins for students, faculty & staff:
Department of Psychology
College of Arts and Sciences Building
Akron, Ohio 44325-4301
Follow us on Instagram