Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Commitment
I HAVE A SITUATION THAT MAY BE A CONFLICT. WHAT DO I DO?
Conflict of interest/conflict of commitment disclosure must be promptly updated, as needed, throughout the year, by using this Update form. Upon disclosure to one's direct supervisor, additional actions may be required to avoid, eliminate, remediate, or manage an actual conflict of interest and/or commitment.
WHO MUST COMPLETE THE ANNUAL UPDATE?
UA Rule mandates that all University of Akron employees, as well as students identified as investigators on externally funded grants or contracts complete an annual Conflict of Interest/Conflict of Commitment update.
The following groups are required to comply with these policies, but are exempt from submitting the annual disclosure form(s):
- University student assistants employed solely on an hourly pay basis,
- part-time teaching faculty, and
- employees working less than half-time.
WHEN TO SUBMIT?
No later than April 30, 2018.
WHERE TO SUBMIT?
To your direct supervisor. Supervisors: please see section below.
WHAT TO SUBMIT?
Select the form(s). Complete, print, sign, and submit to immediate supervisor.
To print the 2017-18 Conflict of Interest forms and documents as a single pdf document, click 2017-18 COI Packet.
HELPFUL DOCUMENTS AND LINKS
- UA Rules - Scroll down to 3359-11-17.
- Conflict of Interest Rule Summary - Convenient guide summarizing the UA rules governing Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Commitment
- COI Definitions - This guide provides helpful definitions of numerous terms found throughout the Conflict of Interest/Conflict of Disclosure documentation.
- Ohio Ethics Commission - The Ohio Ethics Commission provides Ohio Ethics Law information, as well as pertinent sections of the Ohio Revised Code.
Questions or concerns regarding these matters should be directed to department chairs, school directors, deans, or the Office of General Counsel.
- A computer with printer or a printed copy of the Annual Conflict of Interest/Disclosure forms must be made available to all UA employees.
- Original documents are to be retained within the colleges and/or departments as determined by each unit.
- Every campus unit is required to submit all annual Conflict forms, as a single PDF, to the Internal Auditor's Office, via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than May 31, 2018. A single PDF per department or unit is preferred.
This procedure was implemented in 2006 by the UA Board of Trustees and UA Administration in order to establish a centralized management procedure. PDFs submitted to the Internal Auditor's Office should include any accompanying notes, documents and conflict management plans.
If experiencing technical difficulties with this web page or its links, contact ORA webmaster or call x-8579.