Residence Hall Handbook


Room Furnishings

The most important part of The University of Akron residence hall system is your room. We want your room to be a place where you feel at home, so each is planned and furnished with your comfort in mind. Each room is furnished with a bed, desk, chair, trash can, and either closet or armoire depending on your room type.  University furniture and furnishings may not be removed from your room. Other room decor is left to your creativity. Bedspreads, rugs, or shelves may add a warm touch to your home away from home. There are a number of items you may want to bring with you. Some of these can be a cooperative effort between you and your roommate: telephone, washcloths, towels, clock, blankets, wastebasket, laundry soap, sheets, desk lamp, pillow, refrigerator (not to exceed 5.5 cubic feet), computer, iron, decorations and/or radio/stereo.

3-D Printers

Due to the possibility for toxic fumes from various plastics, 3-D printers are not permitted in residence hall rooms. In Bierce Library there is a free service you can use in the Maker Space that will allow you to use their 3-D printers. Learn more about MakerStudio here

Computer Network Access in the Residence Halls

All residence halls have network access in residents’ rooms. There is no additional charge for this service. You will be responsible for network connectivity hardware and software.

To initiate this service, residents must have a computer with the following minimum characteristics:

  • Windows 7, 8,10,  Macintosh OSX, or Linux (various)
  • 2 GB RAM or more
  • Hard drive with minimum 1 GB free
  • Ethernet adapter with 10/100BaseT connector
  • Wireless Ethernet capable of WPA2 (Enterprise) security


Items such as Amazon FireTv Sticks, Kindle, Echo, game consoles, and Roku do not connect to WPA2 Enterprise networks. These devices can be added to the guest network. Instructions to complete this action can be found at

Students are advised to scan their computers for viruses and malware prior to connecting to the University network. The campus network employs technologies to limit or stop access to computers that are infected.

When students arrive, they should set local area connection/Internet protocol properties to obtain an IP address automatically. The final step is to plug your computer in to the correct outlet and restart it. Students will need their UAnet ID and password to log into the network.

Contact the Support Desk at 330-972-6888 with questions or concerns.

The Help Desk personnel will take you through the process to troubleshoot the problem.

Make sure to read and understand all policies regarding the UA computer network at


Residence Hall Network Use

Each student has wireless access to the Roo-Secure network while in the residence hall. The network is provided so each student has access to a University network while they are in their residence hall room.  Each student is provided with one wired connection. 


In order to maintain optimal network operations, Information Technology Services does not allow access to devices that require any modification to the existing network or interfere with its normal operation.  To this end, certain devices are not allowed on the network unless approved by Information Technology Services.  These devices include, but are not strictly limited to:

  • Wireless Access Points (e.g., Apple AirPort Base Stations, Linksys Access Points, or Gateways
  • Routers (e.g., Cable/DSL routers)
  • Any device or computer running network server services such as DHCP, DNS, SMTP, WINS, or acting as a network router (e.g., Windows Internet Connection Sharing)

These devices and services are known to interfere with the operation of the network.  Operation of these devices or services is a violation of University policy, and will result in loss of network access and/or disciplinary action.  Intentional interruption of the network will result in further disciplinary action.


Common Area Furnishings

Common areas such as lobbies, lounges, laundry rooms, and hallways are furnished with a variety of items including furniture, signs, televisions, and other equipment for general use by all students living in the residence hall.  These items are not to be removed from their designated locations; specifically, these items are prohibited from being moved into student rooms.

Cooking and Cooking Appliances

Cooking is not permitted in rooms except in Exchange Street Residence Hall apartments and only when cooking surfaces are well ventilated. Because of the danger of fire, residents in all other areas may not have or use hot plates or appliances with exposed heating coils. This includes, but is not limited to, "George Foreman" grills, toasters, griddles, sandwich makers, waffle makers, quesadilla makers, slow cookers, instant pots, pressure cookers, etc. All appliances shall be unplugged when not in use. No heating device should be left unattended while turned on or in use. Underwriters Laboratory approved microwaves are permitted. Refrigerators, no larger than 5.5 cubic feet, are permitted in student rooms, unless otherwise supplied by the Department of Residence Life and Housing. All cooking surfaces must be kept clean from grease buildups.

Custodial and Maintenance/Room Repair Services


Each building has a custodial crew that cleans common areas such as lounges, hallways and community bathrooms, and does trash removal and major clean-ups. The custodial crew is on campus from 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. every day of the week. Assistance is also available 24/7 on an on-call basis.

Maintenance Concerns and Room Repairs

Residents who need repairs should request them using the Maintenance Work Order Form, or you may request maintenance by calling 330-972-7415. Maintenance hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. In emergency situations, after regular hours and anytime on weekends, you should contact your RA or call University Police at 330-972-7123 to report problems such as flooding, power outages, water leaks near electrical fixtures, etc. Please remember that you are responsible for any damage that occurs in your room, so it is important that you call in room repairs as soon as you notice a problem. Examples include fallen smoke detector, cracked window, faulty mailbox, leaky faucet, clogged drain, etc.


Disposal of Sharps and Sharp Containers

Students are responsible for safely storing and disposing of their own personal sharps, needles or other objects that pose biohazard risks. It is recommended that students contact Health Services located in the Student Recreation and Wellness Center for additional information about the disposal of sharps and sharp containers. As a reminder never place containers with used needles or syringes in a recycling bin and never place loose sharps in the garbage.

Fire Safety Policies

Students found in violation of the University of Akron safety policies may be subject to University sanctions. This action is also taken independently of criminal prosecution by the city of Akron, the state of Ohio, or the federal government, which may occur at the same time.

Candles or Incense

To reduce the risk of fire, residents are not permitted to burn candles, incense or other objects with open flames in any part of a residence hall/apartment.  Candle warmers are also prohibited.

Electricity and Appliances

The use of electrical appliances and accessories is permissible provided that:

  • Electrical outlets are not to be overloaded.
  • Use of extension cords (16-gauge or less) should be kept at a minimum and never placed under carpeting or over ceiling tiles. Cords should not be wrapped around bed frames or under bedding.
  • Students are required to use grounded and fused electrical outlet strips. Extension cords must be approved by a third-party testing laboratory (or Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL)) and bear that laboratory’s (NRTL’s) certification mark.
  • Residents may bring their own refrigerator. (NOTE: Exchange APARTMENTS include a full-size refrigerator.) The maximum capacity is 5.5 cubic feet with an amperage draw of no more than 1.5. Refrigerators must be approved by a third-party testing laboratory and bear that laboratory’s certification mark.
  • Microwaves should be 800 watts or less. Microwaves must be approved by a third-party testing laboratory and bear that laboratory’s certification mark.
  • Cooking appliances in residence hall rooms are prohibited (i.e., hot plates, toaster ovens, electric skillets, BBQ grills, “George Foreman” grills and appliances with exposed heating coils).
  • Wall-mounted appliances (including, but not limited to TVs, microwaves, fans, light fixtures) are prohibited


Failure to Exit During Alarm

Students are prohibited from remaining in a residence hall during a fire alarm or returning to the building prior to University safety personnel instructing them to do so.

Flammable Fluids

Flammable fluids, such as gasoline, lighter fluid, and paint thinners, are prohibited.

Fire Hazards Safety Protocols

Moving into a room and arranging the space is part of the fun of living in a residence hall, but the design must be safe. The following safety precautions must be observed:

  • Use of extension cords should be minimally and never placed under carpeting or over ceiling tiles. Cords should not be wrapped around bed frames or under bedding. Students are required to use grounded and fused electrical outlet strips. Extension cords should be approved by Underwriters Laboratory (UL)
  • No objects of any kind should be hung from light fixtures
  • Netting, sheets, flags and other flammable materials should not be draped from the ceiling.
  • Removing, dismantling or covering smoke detectors is prohibited. Replacement batteries are available at the service desks
  • Cooking appliances in residence hall rooms are prohibited (i.e., hot plates, toaster ovens, electric skillets, BBQ grills, slow cookers, pressure cookers, “George Forman” Grills and appliances with exposed heating coils). For further information see the “Cooking and Cooking Appliances”  above.


Tampering with Fire Safety Equipment

Tampering or other unauthorized use or alteration of safety equipment including but not limited to: fire extinguishers, sprinkler heads or other safety equipment is strictly prohibited. Students are prohibited from placing or hanging items within 24 inches of a sprinkler heard or system – this includes bunked or lofted beds. Removing, disabling or covering smoke detectors is prohibited as well. Propping or otherwise blocking fire doors is prohibited.

Fire and Building Safety Procedures

The Department of Residence Life and Housing fire procedures and policies are consistent with the State of Ohio Fire Code which can be found at The following procedures are designed to ensure the safety of students living within and visiting residence halls.

All students and guests shall evacuate the building upon hearing or receiving notification of a fire or similar emergency.  Students and guests are required to remain outside at the community checkpoint until instructed otherwise by emergency personnel.  Physical assistance evacuating the residence hall may be available for students unable to use stairs to evacuate. There is a clearly marked location on each floor indicating where the student will be met by emergency personnel for assistance. Students requiring assistance must call 330-972-2911 to secure assistance during an evacuation. This number is also posted on each residence hall floor. Please note that there is only one fire drill per semester – all alarms indicate the risk of fire and necessitate orderly evacuation.

There is a clearly marked tornado shelter in each residence hall. In the event of a tornado or severe weather situation students will be provided instruction by the residence hall staff and should meet in the tornado shelter.

Additional safety information can be found at Department of Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (EOHS) website

Hoverboard Devices

Due to the high probability of explosion, creating a safety and fire risk, the Department of Residence Life and Housing is prohibiting Hoverboard devices from being in any of our Residence Halls. The use, possession, or storage of Hoverboards, Swagways, IO Hawks, Skywalkers, and similar devices, are strictly prohibited in campus Residence Halls. If one is found in our Residence Halls you will be referred for a campus policy violation and the item will need to be removed.

Laundry Facilities

Washer and dryers are provided in all facilities for student use and are free of charge.

Locks and Keys


If you are locked out of your room Monday through Friday between 8 AM and 5 PM, please go to the Department of Residence Life and Housing located in Ritchie Hall to sign out a loaner key. Outside of these hours, an RA will assist you and can be contacted from the residence hall service desk. If you are locked out of your room more than five times per academic year, the assumption will be made that you have lost your keys and Department of Residence Life and Housing must change the locks on your door at your expense.

The cost for this varies by building, $82.25 to $129.05. Students requesting a lockout will be required to show ID to confirm that they live in the room to which they request access. Residence life and housing staff are not permitted to let you into a friend’s room.

Room Locks

The tampering or attempting to pick an existing lock is strictly prohibited, as is the installation of any type of  additional lock, including, but not limited to, chain locks or deadbolts on entrance doors to student’s room or bedroom, is prohibited. The University will remove any outside lock discovered on a student’s room door or bedroom door, at the student’s expense.


Room keys are the property of The University of Akron and are loaned to residence hall students living in the residence hall. Residents are not permitted to lend room keys to anyone or allow an unauthorized person to occupy their room.  Students are prohibited from creating, duplicating or distributing copies of their room keys. Students are required to carry their room key with them in their residence halls.

Lost keys shall be reported immediately to the Office of Residence Life and Housing in Ritchie Hall Monday-Friday between 8 am and 5 pm. When a student reports a lost key the lock on the door will be replaced and new keys will be issued to the student and roommate(s), and can be picked up Monday-Friday between 8 am and 5 pm from the Office of Residence Life and Housing in Ritchie Hall. A fee will be charged to replace lost entrance keys and/or to change the lock core to a student’s room.  

Zip Card

The University of Akron is in a metropolitan setting very similar to that of any other large city. As a security measure, the halls are locked 24-hours-a-day. However, as residents, you may enter and leave at your own discretion. The University identification card (Zip Card) will open the residence hall main doors/entrances. There is a service desk located in each building. The service desk is staffed 24-hours-a-day during the academic year. Students will gain entrance to their building by presenting their current, valid Zip Card to the person working at the service desk. This will require that students carry their IDs at all times. Your Zip Card will have a current year sticker identifying that you reside in that hall. Your Zip Card must be submitted upon the request of a University of Akron official. As stated on the back of the Zip Card, “This card is the property of The University of Akron and must be shown or surrendered to University officials upon request.”

The Zip Card is issued to provide access to activities for which the individual is eligible. Misuse will subject user to penalty or loss of use. It is not transferable and a charge will be made for replacement of the card.


Transferring, lending, borrowing, or altering University identification is prohibited. This includes the lending of Zip Cards to others for residential access and/or misuse of residence hall identification stickers. Students are required to carry their Zip Card with them at all times.

Lost Zip Card

Lost Zip Cards shall be reported to an RA or the RLC in your hall as well as the Zip Card office located in Simmons Hall and the Polsky Building. The Zip Card office will replace lost or stolen Zip Cards for a fee of $20.

For convenience a temporary entry card may be issued from the RLC during the evening or a time when the Zip Card office is not open. Once the student has the replacement Zip Card, the temporary entry card must be returned. Failure to return the temporary card will result in a replacement fee of $20.



See our Loft/Bunk page for details.


No pets, other than aquarium fish, can be kept in residence hall rooms or apartments. Aquariums are limited to 20 gallons.

Room Care

Residential students are expected to keep their rooms neat, well-maintained and clean at all times with trash kept only in appropriate containers and taken out regularly. The usual pictures and posters are permissible, provided that there are no residual tape marks or holes in walls, wood surfaces or ceilings. Flammable materials may not be suspended from ceilings or walls. Decorations that may be considered offensive, such as violent graphics or sexually explicit material must be contained in a student’s private living area. Rooms should be easy to enter and exit, and doors must be able to completely open and close to their most full capacity.

Room Decorations

Wall decorations may not be hung with any fasteners that make holes in the walls, ceiling or woodwork. A form of “poster putty” or 3M removable hooks products may be used to secure decorations to walls, but must be removed before the room is vacated. The use of any “tape products” is prohibited on any painted or wood finished surfaces. The cost of repairing holes or removing adhesives by the University staff will be charged to the student responsible.

Holiday Decorations

The Department of Environmental and Occupational Health and Safety (EOHS) and the Ohio Fire Code has specific guidelines for use of holiday decorations in residence halls. All decorative materials inside the halls must be fire resistant or treated with a fire retardant spray or solution. No more than one-tenth of any door or wall area may be covered with combustible material. Decorative lights and other electrical wiring may not be placed on metal surfaces, hung from the ceiling, nailed or stapled.  For more information, please review the extended list at

Room Painting

Students are not permitted to paint their residence hall rooms, suites and/or apartments. If necessary to repaint a room after a student leaves their residence hall room that student will be charged for the cost of repainting the room.

Vending Machines

Vending machines are in most residence halls.  Many of the beverage machines accept zip cards with all-campus funds.  


Waterbeds and other containers that hold more than 20 gallons of liquid are not permitted in the residence halls due to their weight and potential for water damage.


Residence hall windows and patio doors are equipped with window stops to ensure student safety. Students are not permitted to remove them. Residents are not permitted to use the window as an alternative entrance or exit for self, guests or property. Windows should not be used for any purpose other than ventilation. Ejecting objects from windows creates immediate harm to those below. Throwing objects from windows is prohibited and may result in termination of the Housing Contract.

Residence Hall Handbook home page