Social Sciences Fundamentals
Students interested in the social sciences have the option to pursue a degree within any one of our social science departments (economics, geography and planning, history, political science, psychology or sociology), a Social Sciences Divisional major, or the increasingly popular PPE track, which is described below. A degree in the Philosophy, Political Science and Economics track (PPE) trains students in three interrelated and versatile fields of inquiry.
- Comprehensive curriculum covers a wide variety of topics, including:
- political research and thought
- economic analysis
- microeconomics and macroeconomics
- Social sciences students learn how to:
- analyze and interpret written material carefully
- organize and present ideas and information in a clear and persuasive manner
- evaluate alternative ideas as well as research problems
- Coursework provides a strong foundation to pursue advanced degrees in a variety of fields, including law and medicine.
- are innovative and interactive
- win teaching awards
- use multimedia technology to enhance classroom learning
The Departments of Philosophy, Political Science and Economics offer many opportunities to augment classroom learning with research experiences.
PPE majors may participate in the Oxford University’s summer study-abroad program.
Gain practical professional experience through UA's optional cooperative education program. Through co-op, you’ll alternate semesters of work and school while earning a competitive salary. Depending on your professional interest, you might consider a co-op assignment in the legal profession, schools, or government.
Social Sciences Student Organizations
Interact with other social sciences students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Pi Sigma Alpha (political science honorary)
- Pre-Law Club
- College Democrats
- College Republicans
- Associated Student Government
- Philosophy Club
- Economics Club
- Financial Management Association
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.