Biomedical Engineering (Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Track)
Biomedical engineers conduct research and study the engineering aspects of biological systems to create new devices and procedures to improve health and quality of life. Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering Track focuses on mechanics principles, along with basic chemistry, to specialize in:
- material interactions with biological structures
- drug-delivery systems
- tissue engineering constructs
Degree work prepares you to pursue the joint M.D./Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering between the College of Engineering and Northeast Ohio Medical University.
- are actively involved in research funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation
- partner with local healthcare systems for on-site learning opportunities
- bring industry experience to the classroom
Experience biomedical engineering firsthand through our research facilities:
- Biomaterials & Tissue Engineering Laboratory
- Tissue Engineering Microtechnology
- Stem Cell & Tissue Engineering Laboratory
- Leipzig Bioengineering Group
- Conquer Chiari Research Center
Gain important practical professional experience through the optional cooperative education program. Through co-op, you’ll alternate semesters of work and school following your sophomore year. As an added benefit, you’ll earn a competitive salary.
UA's highly regarded student design teams allow students at all levels to apply classroom theory to a major design project. Our design teams consistently rank highly in national and international competitions.
Interact with other engineering students and professionals in the field through organizations such as:
- Tau Beta Pi (engineering honors society)
- Women in Engineering
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- Engineers for a Sustainable World
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
- Biomedical Engineering - Biomaterials and Tissues Track — B.S.
- Biomedical Engineering - Biomaterials and Tissues Track - Cooperative Education — B.S.
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.