The University of Akron
THE CENTER FOR EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
AND HOMELAND SECURITY POLICY RESEARCH
The Research Center
- is conveniently located in the Polsky Building downtown Akron, Ohio on the campus of The University of Akron;
- was officially established September 10, 2002;
- is a collaborative partnership between The University of Akron and The Ohio Emergency Management Agency;
- has a primary charge to improve the practice of emergency management; and
- has a strong policy focus so that research is used to improve practice.
Three unique characteristics:
- The focus is on the practice of emergency management and homeland security and how it can be improved rather than on the disaster,
- There is a strong policy focus so that the results of the research can be applied to improve practice and
- The research agenda is set cooperatively between the directors of a state agency and the principle investigators.