Requirements for the B.A. Degree Major in English
The Department of English urges all English majors to meet with the English Department Advisor at least once a year to discuss their progress toward the degree.
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS.
Complete General Education requirements.
COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES BACCALAUREATE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS.
- You must complete at least three credits of mathematics or statistics (excluding 3450:100 Intermediate Algebra) earned in the Department of Theoretical & Applied Mathematics or the Department of Statistics.
- You must complete a minimum of 128 credits.
- You must complete a minimum of 47 semester credits of 300-400 level courses, exclusive of General Education courses and workshops.
- You must complete the second year of a foreign language.
- You must complete the requirements for the English major. These are
- (a) You must earn a minimum 2.20 GPA in all University of Akron coursework
- (b) 36 credits in English, including
- (c) each of the following courses, in which you must earn a C- or higher.
- 3300:300 Critical Reading and Writing
- 3300:301 English Literature 1
- 3300:315 Shakespeare: Early Plays OR 3300:316 Shakespeare: Mature Plays
- 3300:341 American Literature 1
- 3300:371 Introduction to Linguistics OR 3300:400 Anglo-Saxon OR 3300:470 History of the English Language
- 3300:492 Senior Seminar (not any senior seminar; only 3300:492, our capstone course)
- (d) And you must complete at least three additional courses at the 400-level. (Workshops cannot be used for this requirement.)
- (e) And you must complete enough additional electives to have at least 36 credits in English.
- *NOTE: Courses 3300:111, 3300:112, 3300:250, 3300:252, and 3300:281 DO NOT count toward the English major or minor degree requirements.
- (f) And you must satisfy the following distribution requirements. Your coursework in English must include:
- One course in world or multicultural literature outside the canon of British and American writers,
- one course in British literature after 1800,
- one course in American literature after 1865,
- one literature course in poetry,
- one literature course in fiction.
- Note that one course can fulfill multiple distribution requirements.
- (g) Finally, you must earn a minimum 2.20 gpa in all coursework in English at the University of Akron, including transfer work.
Bachelor of Arts in English