Requirements for the B.A. Degree in English | (330000BA)
The Department of English urges all English majors to meet with the English Department Advisor at least once a year to discuss their progress toward the degree.
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Complete General Education requirements.
COLLEGE OF ARTS & SCIENCES BACCALAUREATE DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
- You must complete at least three credits of mathematics or statistics (excluding 3450:100 Intermediate Algebra) earned in the Department of Theoretical & Applied Mathematics or the Department of Statistics.
- You must complete a minimum of 120 credits.
- You must complete a minimum of
40 semestercredits of 300-400 level courses, exclusive of General Education courses and workshops.
- You must complete the second year of a foreign language.
- You must complete the requirements for the English major, in which you must earn a C- or higher:
- ENGL 300 – Critical Reading and Writing
- ENGL 301 – English Literature 1
- ENGL 315 – Shakespeare: Early Plays OR ENGL 316 Shakespeare: Mature Plays
- ENGL 341 – American Literature 1
- ENGL 371 – Introduction to Linguistics OR ENGL 470 History of the English Language
- One course in world or multicultural literature outside the canon of British and American writers
- ENGL 492 – Senior Seminar (not any senior seminar; only ENGL 492, our capstone course)
- Three additional courses at the 400-level (workshops cannot be used for this requirement).
- NOTE: Courses ENGL 110, ENGL 111, ENGL 112, ENGL 250, ENGL 252, and ENGL 281 do not count toward the English major or minor degree requirements.
- You must complete enough additional electives to have at least 36 credits in English.
- Finally, you must earn a minimum 2.20 GPA in all coursework in English at the University of Akron, including transfer work.