Institute for Teaching and Learning
Supporting faculty…Improving teaching…Enhancing student learning
The Institute for Teaching and Learning supports faculty by focusing on improving teaching and enhancing student learning. We offer workshops, information sessions, and training related to professional development, general education, student learning assessment, course design and development, and implementation of technology to enhance teaching.
Fall 2018 Assessment Series
Assessment Rx: Keeping Your Program Assessment Healthy
All sessions meet in Leigh Hall 414 from 3:30 - 5 p.m.
Attendees who complete all three sessions will receive an ITL certificate of completion for the Fall 2018 Assessment Series. Seats are limited.
Session 1: Annual Assessment Report Check-up
Tues., Sept. 11 OR Wed., Sept. 12
Annual assessment reports serve as a program check-up. This session will show you how to write the annual assessment report for AY 2017-18:
- What is and isn't necessary
- How to report complications that may have developed in the previous year
- What to do if assessments have become "stale"
- Setting goals for the next assessment cycle
Session 2: Maximizing Healthy Habits
Tues., Oct. 2
Faculty frequently make program improvements by changing assignments, adjusting advising strategies, or adding an experiential learning element. These changes and others can be documented as assessment activities. This session will cover habits that can be considered part of assessment:
- Changing course sequence
- Changing prerequisites
- Revising assignments
- Updating content based on changes in the discipline and/or profession
Session 3: Assessment Huddle
Tues., Oct. 23
Faculty discussions are the heart of all assessment. These "huddles" take place both formally and informally to diagnose and treat problems. This session will cover ways to focus those discussions for higher impact. Topics will include:
- Using qualitative data and indirect measures
- Evaluating the degree path
- Revisiting program outcomes
- Revising assessment cycle timelines
Suggest a Session
To submit your idea for a faculty-focused ITL session, please complete the following survey:
Office location, hours and contact information
The new ITL is located in Leigh Hall 412 and will be open on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:00AM to 5:00PM and from 1:00PM to 5:00PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The email address is ITL@uakron.edu.
- Janet Bean, General Education: ext. 6462
- Michelle Byrne, Assessment: ext. 6062
- Aimée deChambeau, University Libraries: ext. 7488
- Wendy Lampner, Design and Development: ext. 2149