Scott P. Barlow, Esq. ('95)
Title: General Counsel, Board Member and Consultant
Phone: (818) 554-9239
Scott P. Barlow is a seasoned executive with 20 years of experience as an attorney and 15 years as a general counsel and secretary serving the Board of Directors of publicly-traded companies. Mr. Barlow is a pioneer in the online technology legal community whose career started in San Francisco and Silicon Valley at the advent of the Internet. As the Executive Vice President & General Counsel for Conversant, Inc., Mr. Barlow led the Company’s world-wide legal department and had the primary responsibility for overseeing the Company’s litigation, governmental and securities regulations, SEC and regulatory reporting, intellectual property and employment law functions. Mr. Barlow served as the secretary for Conversant’s audit, corporate governance and compensation committees. In addition, Mr. Barlow led the legal team that negotiated over 14 mergers and acquisitions during his 15-year tenure with the Company. Mr. Barlow’s M&A journey with Conversant culminated with the Company being acquired by Alliance Data Systems Corporation in December of 2014 for a purchase price of $2.3 billion.
Prior to serving as Executive Vice President & General Counsel with Conversant, Inc., Mr. Barlow was the Vice President & General Counsel with Mediaplex, Inc. and helped lead Mediaplex’s IPO process in 1999.
Currently, in addition to his work as a business and legal consultant, Mr. Barlow serves on the Board and Advisory Board of several technology start-ups. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Advertising from the University of Florida and a Juris Doctor from the University of Akron School of Law.
Significant accomplishments and honors during Mr. Barlow’s career include the following:
- In 2011, named one of the top-25 general counsel in the State of California by the Los Angeles Daily Journal.
- In 2007, named to the “40 under forty” class as well as the list of “Top 25 Lawyers in the Valley” by the San Fernando Valley Business Journal.
- In 2004, named to the “40 under forty” class of the top business executives under the age of 40 by the Pacific Coast Business Times.
- Led Conversant’s lobbying efforts in Washington, D.C. concerning actual and potential legislation facing the Company.
- Successfully guided the Board of Directors of Conversant through several shareholder lawsuits, FTC investigations and SEC inquiries.
Guided the Board of Directors of Conversant through compliance with securities law requirements, Sarbanes-Oxley and implementing regulations, including updating Board committee charters and the Company’s Code of Business Conduct.