THE UNIVERSITY OF AKRON SCHOOL OF LAW
25th Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property Law and Policy
Monday, March 27, 2023
This in-person event and CLE will be held from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. For descriptions of panels and a full schedule please see the agenda.
Lunch & Keynote:
The State of the IP Union Gene Quinn | Founder and CEO of IP Watchdog.
Other topics will include:
- The Unitary Patent & Unified Patent Court Are Coming: The Biggest Global IP Development Since the AIA
- Effective and Ethical Use of Experts in Litigation: Views from the Bench and Bar
- Serving MedTech in Our Region: Building a Practice and Business Community
- Trade Secret Claims: Choosing Your Clients' Battles
- After the Acquisition: Ensuring Your Client Can Keep and Use All the IP Assets They Just Bought
- The End of Non-Competes? What's Next
- Jennifer Battle, Carpenter Lipps & Leland LLP
- Stephen Buffo, Stout
- The Hon. Phillip Calabrese, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Paul Carleton, Carleton McKenna & Co. LLC
- Victoria Cundiff, Chair, Sedona Conference Working Group on Trade Secrecy
- David Cupar, McDonald Hopkins
- David Dingwell, Plakas Mannos
- Larry Drasner, Renner Otto
- The Hon. Theodore Essex, Hogan Lovells & former Chief ALJ, U.S. Trade Commission
- Susan Gerber, Jones Day
- Angela Gott, Benesch Friedlander Coplan & Aronoff LLP
- The Hon. James Gwin, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- The Hon. Ryan Holte, U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Camilla Hrdy, University of Akron
- The Hon. Robert Kinder, PTAB
- Jeffery Langer, Zoeller Company
- Jeffrey Pade, Paul Hastings
- The Hon. Daniel Polster, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- Mario Pozzi, Sib Lex Societa Tra Avvocati
- Jon Snyder, Ohio Life Sciences
- Swarna Solanki, Team NEO
- James Steiner-Dillon, University of Akron
- Rob Sterne, Sterne Kessler
- Jessica Sublett, Bounce Innovation Hub
- Sergey Vernyuk, Emerson Thomson Bennett
Thank you to our sponsors
Contact us to learn more about sponsorship opportunities
Registration and fees
- Advance Registration: $450
- Government employees and faculty rate: $250
- Student rate: $25
- An additional $30 will be charged to walk-in registrants.
The registration fee covers: The symposium sessions and CLE materials, hot breakfast, seated lunch with keynote and full-day CLE panels.
We have applied for 7.5 hours of Ohio CLE, including 1.5 hours of professional conduct credit covering Ethics, Professionalism, Substance Abuse, Access to Justice.
CLE accreditation approved for the following states:
OH – 7.5 (including 1.5 ethics hours)
IL – 7.5 hours (including 1.5 ethics hours)
PA – 7.5 hours (including 1.5 ethics hours)
FL – 7.5 hours (including 1.5 ethics hours)
NJ – 7.5 hours (including 1.5 ethics hours)
CA – 7.5 hours (including 1.5 ethics hours)
University of Akron Taber Student Union, 303 Carroll St., Akron, OH 44325 | Directions
Parking will be provided, along with opportunities for discounted room rates at local hotels. Register today to receive email updates.
For questions or information about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Professor Mark Schultz, director of the Center for Intellectual Property Law and Technology at The University of Akron.
IP LAW AT AKRON
The University of Akron School of Law has long been recognized as one of the leading IP law programs in the country. We offer more than 30 courses in the field and five degrees: an LL.M. (Master of Laws); a joint J.D./LL.M.; a joint J.D./MBA; and certificates for J.D. students and non- J.D. students.
With over 20% of the student body patent bar qualified and 40% of students involved in the IP program, Akron is one of the most IP-intensive schools in the nation.
See details on media coverage discussing the IP Center, and pictures of our many past events.