- World War II
- Community Service/Civic Groups
- Historical Organizations
- Photograph Collections
- Regional History Collection
- Rubber Industry
- Special Collections
- University of Akron
- Civil War
WZIP-FM RecordsRange: 1952 - 2013 Size: 6.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
WZIP (88.1 FM) is a non-commercial college radio station owned by The University of Akron that serves the Akron, Ohio metropolitan area. The station broadcasts a rhythmic contemporary hit radio format as well as news, sports talk, and public affairs in both analog and online formats. WZIP first began broadcasting as WAUP in 1962, but changed its call sign in 1989 to reflect the University’s mascot, the Zips. The records include correspondence, manuals, magazine and newspaper articles, and audio and program logs.
Wright, W. RichardRange: 1963 - 1966 Size: 4 cubic feet Record Group:
Regarding the Ohio Youth Services Advisory Board (chaired by Wright), includes: governing documents, minutes of board meetings, correspondence, inspection reports and recommendations, news releases, pamphlets, photograph albums, scrapbook, and oral history phonotapes of W. Richard Wright.
Wilson, Dr. Charles W., PapersRange: 1960s - 1970s Size: 1.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Dr. Charles W. Wilson is an Emeritus Professor of Physics at The University of Akron (UA) and member of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP). His papers include correspondence, publications, presentation notes, curriculum vitas, research notebooks, and syllabi. They also consist of materials collected by Wilson including publications of his colleagues at UA and annual reports, meeting minutes, and photographs from the Department of Physics and the Institute of Polymer Science as well as records relating to the AAUP.
White, Judge Harold F., PapersRange: 1958 - 1999 Size: 2.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Judge Harold F. White (1920-2014) was a graduate of The University of Akron (UA) School of Law (Class of 1952) and served on the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Ohio for more than 41 years, from 1958 to 1999. He also served as adjunct professor in the School of Law at UA and received an Honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from University. His papers include documents and newspaper clippings that document his life and work.
University of Akron Slide CollectionRange: 1961 - 1988 Size: 0.5 Record Group: 51
The University of Akron, founded in 1870 as Buchtel College, is an urban public research university in Akron, Ohio. The photographic slide collection is an artificial collection compiled by the archives from different sources that consists of photographic slides depicting people, places, and events associated with the university.[Finding Aid]
University of Akron Postcard CollectionRange: 1905 - circa 2000 Size: 0.3 cubic feet; 1 box Record Group: 50
The University of Akron, founded in 1870 as Buchtel College, is an urban public research university in Akron, Ohio. The Postcard Collection is an artificial collection compiled by the archives from different sources that consists of postcards depicting campus buildings and grounds.
University of Akron PhotographsRange: 1854 - 2004 Size: 36 cubic feet (70 boxes) Record Group: 99/49
The University of Akron Photographs contains prints and negatives photographed during 1854-2004 depicting special events, student life, the campus landscape, and individual students and faculty members.[Finding Aid]
University of Akron General History RecordsRange: 1893 - 1990 Size: 0.5 cubic feet Record Group: 2
The general history records contain correspondence, historical summaries, and reminiscences primarily relating to the early years of Buchtel College. A majority of the correspondence including in this collection are former students and alumni remembering their time at Buchtel College. Of special note is a student letter written immediately following the Buchtel Hall fire of 1899. Other topics include the college’s founders, Lucinda “Aunty” Brown’s boarding house, and student activities during World War I and II.
The University of Akron Women’s Club RecordsRange: 1989 - 2004 Size: 2.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
The University of Akron Women’s Club (UAWC), formerly The University of Akron Faculty Women’s Club, is primarily a social organization composed of women employees and female spouses of UA employees that promotes social, informational, and service opportunities to its members and raises funds for scholarships for female UA students. The records include meeting minutes, financial records, newsletters, membership lists, and special events information.
Tel-Buch Office RecordsRange: 1964 - 1997 Size: 22 cubic feet Record Group: 52
The Tel-Buch is the annual yearbook of The University of Akron and its predecessors. The records mainly consist of photographs from the Tel-Buch Office that appeared in the yearbook. The photographs document student clubs and organizations, university athletics, campus buildings, and special events.[Finding Aid]
Tel-buchRange: 1880 - 2008 Size: Record Group: 41/2
The Tel-buch is the annual yearbook of The University of Akron. It was originally titled Argo (1880) and The Buchtel (1882-1908) before becoming The Tel-buch. Yearbooks were not published for 1934, 1943, 1945-1947, 1949-1951.
Suso, Julian., PapersRange: 1949 - 1972 Size: 8 cubic feet Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Julian Suso was a faculty member at The University of Akron and Director of the Akron Department of Planning and Urban Renewal. His papers include reports, proposals, and correspondence regarding his career and the development of the Akron area.
Polen, Edna Mae, PapersRange: 1936 - 2010 Size: 1.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Edna Mae Polen (1917-2010) of Salineville, Ohio was a 1940 graduate of The University of Akron (UA). She worked for many years as Secretary at the B.F. Goodrich Company and Coastal Trucking Co./Coastal Tank Lines, Inc. of Akron. Her papers include booklets, yearbooks, newsletters, report cards, and photographs documenting student life at UA in the 1930s as well as the B.F. Goodrich Company and several local organizations she was involved with.
Nelson, Daniel, CollectionRange: 1900 - 1941 Size: 9 cubic feet Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Dr. Daniel Nelson is Professor Emeritus of History at The University of Akron who specializes in American business and labor history and has published numerous books on these topics. His collection consists of research materials for his book American Rubber Workers & Organized Labor, 1900-1941 including research notes, oral history interviews, meeting minutes, manuscripts, demographic studies, articles, newspaper clippings, chapter critiques, and correspondence. The collection also includes information regarding the United Rubber Workers (URW) and numerous rubber companies.
Knight, Dr. Charles M., Family PapersRange: 1849 - 1940 Size: 21 cubic feet Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Dr. Charles M. Knight (1848-1941) held numerous positions at Buchtel College (now The University of Akron) including Professor and Chair of Natural Sciences, Professor of Chemistry, Professor Emeritus, Dean, and Acting President from 1896-1897. He started the first course in rubber chemistry in 1909 and the Knight Chemical Laboratory at the university was named in his honor. The papers include personal letters, diaries, journals, business papers, photographs, and artifacts relating Knight and his family including Joel Knight, Jr., Fanny Maria Duncan Knight, Sophie Knight McCollester, Eva Knight Greenwood, Colonel William Henry (Hal) Greenwood, Susan Helen Knight, Esther Knight Guild, and Mary Knight Dutton.
Hower House, Friends of, RecordsRange: 1974 - 2002 Size: 3.3 Record Group: 99/237
The Hower House is a 28-room Second Empire Italianate mansion in Akron, Ohio. Built in 1871 by Akron industrialist John Henry Hower and his wife, the house was deeded to The University of Akron in 1970 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. In 1974 the Friends of Hower House was established to preserve the house and its furnishings and merged with the Hower House Victorians in 2016 to form the Hower House Museum Guild. The records document the Friends of Hower House, the Hower House Victorians, and the Conservation and Restoration Committee and includes meeting minutes, publications, and photographs and slides of the house, displays, and artifacts.[Finding Aid]
Hartrum, Newell H., Drawings of University of Akron BuildingsRange: 1983 - 1983 Size: 0.25 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Newell H. “Newt” Hartrum (1926-2012) was a graphic designer and freelance artist from Wooster, Ohio who created numerous pen and ink drawings of houses and buildings in Ohio. The drawings consists of seven 16” x 20” prints of Newell’s illustrations of buildings on The University of Akron campus including Buchtel Hall, Memorial Hall, McDowell Law Center, Buckingham Center, E.J. Thomas Hall, Gardner Student Center, and Auburn Science Center.
Hart, Hazel Bessey, CollectionRange: 1885 - 1964 Size: 1.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Hazel Bessey “Bess” Hart was a student at Buchtel College (now The University of Akron) from 1907-1911. Her collection includes publications, photographs, slides, scrapbooks, and photograph albums that document the college and her sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma.
Guzzetta, Dr. Dominic J., PapersRange: 1964 - 2009 Size: 6.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Dr. Dominic J. Guzzetta (1920-2010) served numerous deanships and vice presidencies at The University of Akron before becoming the institution’s 11th president, serving from 1971 to 1984. During his tenure he oversaw the opening of E.J. Thomas Hall, the acquisition of the Rubber Bowl, and the creation of Wayne College. He later became president of the I-X Center in Cleveland. His papers include photographs, scrapbooks, slides, travel itineraries, and artifacts that document his life and work.
Guggenheim, Daniel, Airship Institute RecordsRange: 1926 - 1952 Size: 13 cubic feet, 15 boxes Record Group: 22/8
The Daniel Guggenheim Airship Institute was operated by the Municipal University of Akron from 1929 – 1949. As part of the College of Engineering, the institute provided students with research opportunities relating to lighter-than-air flight, heavier-than-air flight, and meteorology. The records consist of correspondence, technical reports, and administrative files. Guggenhiem Reports on-line[Finding Aid]
Gsellman, Barbara, CollectionRange: 1936 - 1989 Size: 0.2 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
Barbara Gsellman (1927-2013) was an instructor/lecturer in Mechanical Engineering, the Community & Technical College, and the Evening College at The University of Akron (UA) from the late 1950s to the early 1980s. Her collection contains materials relating to UA and local history including UA Faculty Women’s Club yearbooks, newspaper clippings of UA faculty and staff, and several pamphlets relating to aeronautics.
Gradisher, Thomas D. Journals and Travel BooksRange: 1982 - 2004 Size: 0.5 cubic feet Record Group: 99/251
Thomas D. “Thom” Gradisher, a University of Akron alumnus, was a United States diplomat who worked for the State Department from 1984 until 2004. He worked in Foreign Service, as Desk Officer in Washington, D.C., and as a Public Affairs Coordinator. His journals and travel books document his travels and work for the State Department.[Finding Aid]
Endres, Dr. Kathleen L. CollectionRange: 1841 - 2018 Size: 6 Record Group: 99/253
Dr. Kathleen L “Kitty” Endres is a distinguished professor emerita of Communications at The University of Akron. This collection is comprised of files and collected materials assembled and used by Dr. Endres during her career as a professor of Communications and Women’s Studies at The University of Akron.[Finding Aid]
Buchtelite NewspaperRange: 1889 - Present Size: $content.cubicFeet Record Group: 41/2
The Buchtelite is the independent student newspaper of The University of Akron and its predecessors. It was first published in 1899 as a monthly, but was soon published bi-monthly, weekly, and then bi-weekly during the school year. Summer session editions were also published, starting in 1925. The newspaper has gone through various title changes including The Buchtelite, Akron Buchtelite, and Buchtelite. The collection includes bound and loose hard copies of the paper as well as microfilmed and digital copies.
Association of the University of Akron Retirees (AUAR) RecordsRange: 1998 - 2015 Size: 3.0 Record Group: $content.recordGroup
The Association of the University of Akron Retirees (AUAR) is a group of former UA employees and their spouses and families. Founded in 1998, it provides social and educational activities and volunteer opportunities to its membership and sponsors an endowed scholarship for UA students. The records include meeting minutes and agendas, correspondence, scholarship information, directories, handbooks, newsletters, membership lists, reports, programs, newspaper clippings, photographs, financial summaries, and information about special events.Top