2022 ARTS & LEISURE DIVISION:
First Place Winner Arts & Leisure (awarded $300):
Lily Traxler - Grade 6 - North Ridgeville, OH - Playful Kitten Art
Runner-Up Arts & Leisure (awarded $150):
Sophia Leung - Grade 6 - Palm Harbor, FL - Minds of Teens
Remaining Finalists Arts & Leisure (each awarded $75):
Marcelo Gonzalez - Grade 7 - Macedonia, OH - The Roo-Inator Power Punch Game
Ava Jackson - Grade 8 - Lititz, PA - Mariposa Garden
Prina Patel - Grade 7 - Mechanicsburg, PA - Unity is our Strength
Sibi Shanmugam - Grade 7 - Mechanicsburg, PA - Medieval Mania
2022 SCIENCE & ENGINEERING DIVISION:
First Place Winner Science & Engineering (awarded $300):
Tyler Shirk - Grade 8 - Lititz, PA - The Hitting Pro
Runner-Up Science & Engineering (awarded $150):
William Lee - Grade 8 - Lititz, PA - The Wave Energy Converter
Remaining Finalists Science & Engineering (each awarded $75):
Colin Choi - Grade 5 - Oviedo, FL - The Vortex Charger
Brooklyn Hatton - Grade 5 - Columbus, IN - The Slip On Ice
Daniel Hertzler - Grade 7 - Mechanicsburg, PA - Pinball Mayhem
James Myers - Grade 7 - Cuyahoga Falls, OH - The Glasses Bed
2022 Top 8 Schools with the Most Entries
Each school will be awarded a donation of $200 for their achievement.
- Columbus Signature Academy - Indiana
- Clearwater Fundamental Middle School - Florida
- North Ridgeville Academic Center - Ohio
- Rootstown Middle School - Ohio
- Saint Joseph Parish School - Ohio
- Manheim Township Middle School - Pennsylvania
- Bridgeport Middle School - Texas
- Geneva Elementary School - Florida
CONGRATULATIONS to this year's winners, runners-up, finalists, and top schools!
CONGRATULATIONS to each student that entered this year's contest. Thank you for your hard work and for sharing your creativity with us.
Thank you to all of the teachers, parents, and mentors who helped our students along the way. And thank you to our judges for their time.
Special thank you to our Gold sponsor:
Stay tuned to our website and be sure to sign up for our mailing list to find out about next year's 15th annual Rubber Band Contest!
ABOUT THE CONTEST
Join the fun and get ready to learn about the rubber band - one of the many amazing inventions created from a unique class of materials known as polymers! This educational contest was designed to give students a new opportunity to have fun learning about Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics. Each year students from across the nation come up with new ways of using rubber band(s) to create amazing inventions, games, artworks, and more!
- To design and create a working invention/artwork that incorporates at least one (1) rubber band.
TWO SEPARATE DIVISIONS:
OUR 2022 CONTEST AWARDED OVER $3,000 IN PRIZES:
- The first place winner in each division received $300.
- The runner-up in each division received $150.
- The four remaining finalists in each division (who are not a first place winner or runner-up) received $75.
- Schools earned cash donations too! The top eight schools with the most student entries each received an equal donation shared from a donation pool of $1,600*. (*The donation pool is divided equally by the total number of schools in the top eight including any schools that are tied for spots in the top eight. In-eligible entries do not count towards school awards.)
OUR CONTEST LESSON PLAN MAKES IT EASIER: standard aligned and easy to integrate with your curriculum
- Alignment with multiple standards:
- Next Generation Science Standards
- Common Core Standards
- National Standards (Grades 5-8)
- Ohio Academic Content Standards for Science
- Ohio Revised Science Education Standards and Model Curriculum
- Learn more about the Rubber Band Contest Lesson Plan