Welcome to the School of Counseling
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Marriage & Family Counseling/Therapy
- School Counseling
- Classroom Guidance
School of Counseling
The C. P. and Cornelia Chima Family Center
27 S. Forge Street
Akron, OH 44325-5007
About the School
The School of Counseling is one of seven schools in the College of Health Professions at The University of Akron. We value inter-professional activities, and a holistic approach to mental health care.
The School of Counseling is exclusively a graduate school, with two doctoral programs (Counselor Education & Supervision and Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy) and four master’s programs (Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy, School Counseling, and Classroom Guidance). Our programs are fully accredited and boast national reputations.
- Counselor Education & Supervision Doctoral Program – CACREP accredited
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling Master's Program – CACREP accredited
- Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy (Master’s and Doctoral Programs) – COAMFTE accredited
- School Counseling Master's Program – CACREP accredited
Our students have the opportunity to receive state-of-the-art training at our in-house mental health center, The Clinic for Individual & Family Counseling. We have innovative and dedicated faculty, committed to helping students pursue their desired field of study in preparation for a career in their chosen profession. Our faculty is also actively engaged in research and service activities, and hold offices at the state and national levels in their professional organizations.
Our Mission Statement
The School of Counseling has as its mission the goal of training students who:
- display a respect for human dignity.
- exhibit a commitment to fulfillment of their individual potential.
- show an understanding of educational and counseling processes with knowledge in their specific field of endeavor.
- apply ethical and competent behavior in the use of counseling skills.
- acquire and use knowledge of the roles and functions of others working in related fields.
- possess and display maturity in self-development.
- understand issues and trends of a multicultural and diverse society.