Melissa K. McCollister, Ph.D., MSW
Dr. Melissa McCollister has been a faculty member in the School of Social Work since 2005. She served as the Child Welfare University Partnership Program Campus Coordinator from 2007 to 2017.
Prior to joining the faculty, Dr. McCollister worked for the Multi-County Juvenile Attention System, Canton City Schools in collaboration with the Child and Adolescent Center (Shipley Day Treatment), as well as volunteered as the Youth Coordinator for the Akron Area Pride Collective, an LGBT non-profit organization. In addition, for the past several years, she has served in a macro practice role as a program evaluation consultant to many non-profit agencies in the local community.
In 2012, Dr. McCollister received certification from Dr. David Caruso at Yale University to administer, interpret, and analyze the Mayer, Salovey, Caruson Emotional Intelligence Test (MSCEIT) assessment. As a result, she has presented at local, state, and national conferences as well as provided CEU workshops on the topic of emotional intelligence in social work practice. In 2015, she was the keynote speaker at the NASW Ohio Chapter Science of Social Work conference.
Her primary research interests include emotional intelligence, motivational interviewing, post-traumatic growth, secondary trauma stress, and self-care for social workers.
- Child welfare
- Emotional intelligence
- LGBT (youth)
- Motivational interviewing
- Program evaluation
- Secondary trauma and self-care
- Social justice advocacy
- Social work with adolescents
- McCollister, M. K. (June 30, 2017). Emotional intelligence: How to improve your engagement skills with clients. CEU workshop, Area Agency on Aging, Hartville, OH.
- McCollister, M. K. (March 28, 2017). Emotional intelligence and organizational practice. CEU workshop, Pastoral Counseling Service of Summit County, Akron, OH.
- McCollister, M. K. (March 16, 2017). Emotional intelligence: Why it matters in public child welfare practice. Cuhayoga County Conference on Social Welfare, National Association of Social Workers, Cleveland, OH.
- McCollister, M. K. (May 12, 2016). Emotional intelligence: Brain/Body connection to emotions. Keynote speaker, The University of Akron Nurses Brunch.
- McCollister, M. K. (April 9, 2016). Emotional intelligence: Brain/Body connection to emotions. CEU workshop, The University of Akron Social Work Alumni Spring Fling.
- McCollister, M. K. (June 22, 2015). Emotional intelligence and organizational practice. Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority, Akron, OH.
- McCollister, M. K. (May 1, 2015). Emotional intelligence and social work practice. Keynote speaker, Science of Social Work Conference, National Association of Social Workers, Cleveland, OH.
- McCollister, M. K. (2014). Program Evaluation: American Friends Service Committee Economic and Political Justice Program.
- McCollister, M. K. (2014). Emotional intelligence and agency turnover rate among metro and non-metro public child welfare workers. Capella University, 1-192. Retrieved from the ProQuest Database (Accession No. 3635351).
- Ph.D. (Non-Profit Management) Capella University
- M.S.W. The University of Akron
- B.S.W. The University of Akron
- 7750:440 Research I
- 7750:441 Research II
- 7750:427 Human Behavior and the Social Environment I
- 7750:430 Human Behavior and the Social Environment II
- 7750:445 Social Policy Analysis
- 7750:480 Social Work with Adolescents
- 7750:480 Social Work and Spirituality
- 7750:480 Emotional Intelligence
- 7750:480 Social Work and Trauma
- 7750:622 Fundamentals of Research I
- 7750:623 Fundamentals of Research II
- 7750:646 Social Policy Analysis I
- 7750:647 Social Policy Analysis II
- 7750:675 Program Evaluation