Welcome! Welcome to the School of Social Work's website. Whether you are considering an undergraduate or graduate degree in social work or are simply interested in taking one of our electives, we hope you will spend some time exploring the programs we offer and becoming acquainted with the opportunities available. If you have questions, please contact us by e-mail or phone. Our motto is: Courage. Compassion. Competence.
The School of Social Work is an accredited program through the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). We are committed to sharing with you our most recent program evaluation. Upon review of this document, it is our pleasure to answer your questions or discuss the implications for social work students.
Spirit of Social Work Award -Wayne College
Wednesday, April 1, 2015, 6:30 p.m.
The Spirit of Social Work Award is a peer nominated, peer voted award for a senior SWIFT member (Undergraduate Social Work Organization @ Wayne College) who best embodies the spirit of social work.
SEXUAL VIOLENCE sponsored by MSWSA- Free
Saturday, April 4, 2015, 10:00 a.m. -12 noon
Polsky Building, Room 204
The Zips Assistance Pantry
Available to all students- Free
Wednesday, April 8, 2015, 9 a.m. -12:30 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. -5:30 p.m.
Polsky Building, Room 483
NEW BA/BASW Program coming to our Lakewood Campus- Informational Sessions Scheduled
Students interested in new undergraduate social work program beginning on Lakewood campus April 15, & May 13, 2015.
It is Social Work Scholarship time!
All scholarship applications are due Friday, April 17, 2015
Read each scholarship description and if applicable to you, please take a moment and apply.
Social Work Student Conference- Save the Date!- Details Coming Soon- FREE
Theme: Wellness (Viewing globally & Acting locally)
Friday, April 17, 2015
1:00 p.m. -4:00 p.m.
Induction Dinner & Ceremony for all Honor Societies
Friday, April 24, 2015, InfoCision Stadium-Summa Field Club Level
Doors open - 5:00 p.m., Dinner- 5:30 p.m. Event concludes - 7:00 p.m.
Complimentary dinner for Inductees provided by School of Social Work
Celebration through Graduations
Joint MSW Graduation Celebration -Friday, May 1, 2015 @ 7:00p.m. UA Quaker Square. Additional Information Coming Soon
UA Graduation -Undergraduate & Graduates- Saturday, May 9, 2015, 10:00 a.m. (Undergraduate students only) 2:00 p.m. (Graduate students only) EJ Thomas.
SAVE THE DATES- Mandatory Orientations!
Important- All students should have their UA User id and Password available in order to log on to computers. Field orientations may utilize a blended learning approach- instructional led and self-directed.
- MSW Field Orientation - Advanced Standing Students Only - Saturday, May 2, 2015, 10:00 a.m. -12 noon, Room 497, Polsky Building
- MSW Field Orientation - Entering Foundation Students & 1st year Part-time students entering their 2nd year - Friday, May 8, 2015, 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. or 12:30 p.m.-3:00 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. -6:30 p.m. SW Computer Lab, Rm 411, Social Work Office, Polsky Building. Electronic registration required-click here
- BA/BASW Field Orientation - Wayne College Students - Undergraduate students beginning field in Fall 2015 - Tuesday, May 12, 2015, 4:00 p.m., Room C113, Wayne College
- BA/BASW Field Orientation - Akron Campus Students - Undergraduate students beginning field in Fall 2015 - Friday, June 5, 2015; 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. or 12 :00 -2:00 p.m.- SW Computer Lab, Rm 411, Social Work Office, Polsky Building
- College-wide Orientation - All Incoming MSW Foundation, Part-time 1st year students entering their 2nd year, & Advanced Standing Students -Thursday, August 27, 2015, 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Leigh Hall, Room 107- Free Continental Breakfast provided
- Statement on Diversity
The College of Health Professions (CHP) is committed to improving the human condition. To do so, the College values diversity in all forms, including national origin, race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identify, disability, or veteran status; and seeks to recruit, retain, and graduate a diverse student population.
The CHP focus on diversity demands an environment where respect for others supports meaningful dialogue across broad, interprofessional issues rooted in academic inquiry, research, and discovery. Our graduates are prepared to address the needs of an evolving health care system and value inclusion and the opportunity to serve health needs and promote wellness opportunities to an increasingly diverse community.
- The University of Akron is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, a commission of The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The accreditation cycle is 2012-13 through 2022-23
- Non-Smoking Policy
The CHP states in its mission that we support human health and wellness. Smoking, in any form, is harmful and therefore cannot be supported in our mission of wellbeing. Therefore, as of January 1, 2014, The CHP and each of its Schools, prohibits tobacco use in all its forms including smokeless tobacco and smoking through any method (cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and any similar devices). This policy also applies to e-cigarettes. This policy is intended for the CHP's classrooms, labs, and clinics where our schools are located.
This policy is consistent with University policy 3359-20-05.5
What Students Need to Know courtesy of the Office of Academic Affairs