Degree information: School of Social Work
- We offer a Bachelor of Arts (BA), a Bachelor of Art in Social Work (BASW), and a Master of Social Work (MSW) at three campuses in Akron, Lakewood, and Wayne.
- Our curriculum is designed to prepare students for competent and effective professional practice in social work. The program provides a rigorous intellectual base, an opportunity for effective skill development, and an educational perspective that views human diversity as desirable and enriching to society.
- Social workers help people solve personal and family problems, provide services to meet social needs, and restore social and emotional functioning.
- Employment is projected to increase by 25% from 2010-2020, according to the US Department of Labor.
- The Social Work program provides the foundation of coursework and field experience necessary to sit for the licensure exam that is required for the profession.
- Graduates work in various settings such as mental health centers, child welfare agencies, health care centers, schools, governmental agencies, correctional settings, to name a few. Employers actively recruit our graduates because of their solid academic preparation and professional practice strengths.
We proudly offer the Child Welfare University Partnership Program (UPP) and the Addiction Programs.
Each year, 7-11 students (both BSW and MSW) may apply for admission to the Child Welfare University Partnership Program. Students must take two child welfare elective courses and complete a year field placement in a public child welfare agency. After successfully graduating from the program, students must obtain employment within 180 days after graduation and commit to work for 1 year in a public child welfare agency. Once hired, students receive up to a $5,000 work incentive.
For the Addiction Programs, undergrad options offer students the opportunity to augment their degree with a Basic Addictions Services Certificate, an Advanced Addictions Services Certificate, or even a Minor in Addictions Studies. Our graduate program has recently received accreditation by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board. Only three Ohio Institutions have this distinction.
News and coming events
- Register Now for CEU Workshops
- Faculty News: Prof. Ellis Featured in Times Reporter
- MSW Student and Faculty Featured in Akron Beacon Journal
- Join the AAA Phi Alpha National Social Work Honor Society
- Call for Nominations: Outstanding Student Awards
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Activities Fair