Jina Sang, Ph.D., MSSW
Title: Associate Professor
Dept/Program: School of Social Work
Office: 415B, Polsky Bldg.
Dr. Jina Sang joined the UA social work faculty in 2013. Her areas of expertise focus on children and families. She has worked with children and families as a clinical social worker in mental health settings in New York, Connecticut, and California. Prior to joining the UA faculty, she taught at the School of Social Work at University of Southern California.
Dr. Sang's primary research interests center on parent-child relationships, children's mental health, and family stress. She has also published books on mental health and parent-child relationships in Asian countries including Korea, China, and Thailand. Currently, she is serving as a member on the NASW Ethics Committee.
- Parent-child relationships
- Mental health of children and families
- Family stress
- Sang, J. (July, 2018). Childhood Behavioral Disorders. CEU Workshop at the University of Akron, Akron, OH.
Sang, J. (January, 2018). My child rejects me: Alienated parents from separated or divorced Families. Poster presented to the 2018 Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR) Annual Conference, Washington, DC.
- Sang, J., Cederbaum, J., Koh, A., & Hurlburt, M.(2019). Maternal depressive symptoms, adolescent daughters' substance use, and father residence in minority families. Substance Use & Misuse. Advanced online publication. doi: 10.1080/10826084.2019.1610446
- Kim, M. A., Yi, J., Sang, J., & Chung, D. H. (2019). A photovoice study on the bereavement experience of mothers after the death of a child from cancer in Korea. Death Studies. Advanced online publication.
- Kim, M. A., Yi, J., Sang, J., & Molloy, J. (2018). The impact of a child’s cancer on father’s relationship with spouse. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 27(1),166-175.
Kim, M. A., Yi, J., Sang, J., Kim, S. H., & Hur, I. Y. (2016). Experiences of Korean mothers of children with cancer: A photovoice study. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 35(2), 128-147.
Sang, J., Cederbaum, J. A., & Hurlburt, M. S. (2016). Sexual intercourse among adolescent daughters of mothers with depressive symptoms from minority families. Journal of Adolescence, 51, 81-91.
Yi, J., Kim, M. A., & Sang, J. (2016). Worries of childhood cancer survivors in young adulthood. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 21, 113-119.
Sang, J., Cederbaum, J. A., & Hurlburt, M. S. (2014). Parentification, substance use, and sex among adolescent daughters from ethnic minority families: The moderating role of monitoring. Family Process, 53(2), 252-266.
Mennen, F. E., Kim, K., Sang, J., & Trickett, P. K. (2010). Child neglect: Definition and identification of youth’s experiences in official reports of maltreatment. Child Abuse & Neglect, 34(9), 647-658.
- Trickett, P. K., Mennen, F. E., Kim, K., & Sang, J. (2009). Emotional abuse in a sample of multiply-maltreated, urban young adolescents: Issues of definition and identification. Child Abuse & Neglect, 33(1), 27-35.
- Ph.D. University of Southern California
- M.S.S.W. Columbia University
- B.F.A. New York University
- 7750:440 Social Work Research I
- 7750:441 Social Work Research II
- 7750:425 Social Work Ethics
- 7750:403 Social Work Practice III
- 7750:480 Childhood Behavior Disorders
- 7750:605 Social Work Practice with Small Systems
- 7750:607 Advanced Practice with Small Systems I
- 7750:650 Advanced Standing Integrative Seminar
- 7750:675 Program Evaluation