Naomi White, Doctoral Candidate, MSW
Professor Naomi White joined the social work faculty in 2008. Prior to her arrival to the University of Akron, she practiced as a licensed clinical social worker and adjunct faculty in New York City. During this segment of her career, her field of practice included child welfare, juvenile justice, and mental health.
She taught undergraduate and graduate students within the Schools of Social Work at New York University, Hunter, and Lehman Colleges. She also worked as the Program/Training Director for The Council on Child Caring Agencies (COFCCA)- a state-wide membership organization responsible for contracted child welfare, juvenile justice, and special education services in New York State.
- Field Education [Field Placement Disruptions | Field Success]
- Instructional Design [Learning & Instruction]
- Diversity of Thought
Presenter: Cognitive load theory and instructional design in computer-assisted field orientations- Step 2, 64th Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), Orlando, FL, November 2018.
- Presenter: Cognitive Load Theory Meets Technology to Create Relevant, Learner-Supported Orientations, The National Staff Development and Training Association (NSDTA) | American Public Human Services Association (APHSA), Columbus, Ohio, October 2018.
Co-Presenter: Addressing Student Readiness for Field Education: A model of proactive advising. 33rd BPD Annual Conference. Promoting Excellent in Undergraduate Social Work through Education and Leadership, Dallas, TX, April 2016.
- Presenter/Presentation: Web Accessibility: Safeguarding Schools of Social Work Websites, Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) 61st Annual Program Meeting |Social Work on the Frontiers of Change, Denver, CO, Oct 2015.
- Presenter: Diversity of Thought The University of Akron-- Rethinking Race Face 2 Face Conversations, Akron, OH, February 2015.
- Co-Presenter/Roundtable: Increasing Field Education Scholarship: Are Tenure-Track Field Coordinators the Solution?; Co-Presenter/Poster Presentation: Social Work Development of Campus-Wide Pantry: Lessons Learned. Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) 60th Annual Program Meeting| Advancing Social Work Education, Tampa, FL, Oct 2014.
- Presenter/Presentation: Diversity of Thought-A no-brainer for the social work field or is it? An intentional and uncomfortable conversation-Workshop. NASW Ohio Chapter 2014 Conference, Columbus, Ohio, Nov 2014.
- Zhao, B., & White, N. (2015). Service learning for success--Three cases at the University of Akron. International Journal for Innovation-Education and Research, 3(5).
- White, N., Morales, S., & Wright, D. (Spring, 2014). Field Placements: Are our students with disabilities the pearls of the Schools of Social Work? Field Educator, Vol. 3.3. Retrieved from http://fieldeducator.simmons.edu/
- White, N., Spence, M., Thornton, M., & Thomas, B. It’s What We Do: The Relationship and Student Success. 6th Annual Mentoring Conference: Impact and Effectiveness of Developmental Relationships, Albuquerque, NM, October 29- November 1, 2013.
- White, N. (Spring 2013). Home Visiting in the Internship. E-Field Educator, Vol. 2.3 Retrieved from http://fieldeducator.simmons.edu/
- White, N., Spence, M.A., & McCarragher, T. (Fall 2011). Field Placement Disruptions: The CIA Approach. E-Field Educator, Vol. 1.1. Retrieved from http://fieldeducator.simmons.edu/article/field-placement-disruptions-the-cia-approach/#more-345, http://fieldeducator.simmons.edu/
- M.S. Columbia University School of Social Work
- B.A.S.W. University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work
- 7750:401 Social Work Practice I
- 7750:402 Social Work Practice II
- 7750:405 Social Work Practice I Skills Lab
- 7750:421 Intro to Field Experience Seminar I
- 7750:422 Field Experience Seminar II
- 7750:427 Human Behavior & Social Environment I- online
- 7750:445 Social Policy Analysis
- 7750:480|693 Home Visits: Safety
- 7750:480|693 Home Visits: Community
- 7750:480|693 Home Visits: Effective Assessments
- 7750:480|693 Working with Challenging Clients
- 7750:493 Field Agency I
- 7750:494 Field Agency II
- 7750:601|2 Foundation Practice
- 7750:603|4 Advanced Field Practicum