Rikki A. Patton, Ph.D.
Dr. Rikki Patton has been a faculty at The University of Akron since 2013 and currently serves as the Program Coordinator for the Child and Family Development programs. She enjoys grant writing and is a PI for two SAMHSA-funded training programs. She enjoys working as part of interprofessional teams and has been involved in interprofessional grant teams since 2015. Dr. Patton loves engaging in research on the topics of behavioral health training and understanding substance use disorders from an relational-systemic lens. She has taught an array of graduate-level didactic and clinical courses, and thoroughly loves teaching and learning about theory. She is licensed as an independent marriage and family therapist with supervision designation and has engaged in clinical work with individuals, couples, and families impacted by substance use and other relational-systemic issues.
- Behavioral Health Workforce Development
- Children, Youth, Couples, and Families
- Grant Writing
- Interprofessional Collaboration
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- Substance Use Disorders
- Katafiasz, H. & Patton, R. (August, 2019). Trauma-informed marriage and family therapy supervision. Institute Presentation at the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Annual Conference, Austin, TX.
- Ray, A., Tadros, E., & Patton, R. (August, 2019). Assessing children and adolescents for suicide. Forum Presentation at the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Annual Conference, Austin, TX.
- Patton, R., Tadros, E., & Kaup, L. (August, 2019). The role of family in youth opioid use: A systematic literature review. Poster Presentation at the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Annual Conference, Austin, TX.
- Blower, S., Drost, J., Hazelett, S., Kropp, D., & Patton, R. (May, 2019). Chaplain role in healthcare interprofessional teams: A pilot study. Poster Presentation at the American Geriatric Society, 2019 Scientific Meeting, Portland, OR.
- Patton, R. & Katafiasz, H. (March, 2019). Trauma-informed substance use assessment and treatment approaches when working with youth experiencing substance use disorders. Webinar Presentation for the AAMFT Minority Fellowship Program.
- Patton R. & Katafiasz, H. (March, 2019). The process of becoming: Exploring the multi-systemic layers of leadership. Workshop presentation at the 2019 American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy Leadership Symposium, Arlington, VA.
- Patton, R., Tadros, E., & Finney, N. (Accepted).Exploring alcohol use and social connection among older Latinos: A brief The Family Journal.
- Patton, R. & Weigold, I. K. (2020). Examining hazardous alcohol use and relational ethics in a college student sample. Journal of American College Health, 1-6. DOI: 10.1080/07448481.2020.1756824
- Patton, R., Katafiasz, H., Finney, N., & Tadros, E. (2020). Cisgender teen dating violence: Differential associations with various substances used. Journal of Family Violence, 35, 519-525.
- Katafiasz, K., Patton, R., Georke, J., Dragomir, R., & Fye, J. (2019). A dyadic examination of individual symptomology and relational functioning within the context of IPV. Contemporary Family Therapy, 42, 250–258.
- Kaur, L., Tadros, E., & Patton, R. (2019). The role of family in youth opioid misuse: A systematic review of the literature. The Family Journal, 27(4), 429-442.
- Patton, R., Goerke, J., Fye, J., & Katafiasz, H. (2019). Does hazardous alcohol use impact individual and relational functioning among couples seeking couples therapy? The Family Journal, 27(3), 287-292.
- Patton, R. & Katafiasz, H. (2018). Exploring alcohol use and IPV among couples presenting to couple therapy: A brief note. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260518807220
- Brown, D., Fosnight, S., Whitforn, M., Hazlett, S.,McQuown, C., Drost, J. C., Kropp, D. J., Hovland, C. A., Niederriter, J. E, Patton, R., Morgan, A., Fleming, E., Steiner, R. P., & Scott, E. D. (2018). An interprofessional education model for geriatric falls risk assessment and prevention. BMJ Open Quality, 7(4), e000417. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjoq-2018-000417
- Patton, R. & Fisher, U. (2018). Examining couple functioning and alcohol use among Latino couples: A dyadic data analysis. Substance Use & Misuse, 53, 484-489.
- Bartle-Haring, S. Shannon, S., Holowacz, E., Patton, R., & Lotspeich-Younkin, F. (2018). Is there a “sweet spot” for age at marriage and positive marital outcomes. Journal of Family Issues, 39, 1085-1107.
- Pennington, M., Patton, R., Fensler, A., & Katafiasz, H. (2017). A brief report on the ethical and legal guides for technology use in marriage and family therapy. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 43, 733-742.
- Patton, R., Chappelle, N., Fisher, U., McDowell-Burns, M., Pennington, M., Smith, S., & Vitek, M. (2016). Teaching general systems theory through open space technology: Reflections from practice. Journal of Systemic Therapies, 35, 1-10.
- Patton, R., Lau. C. H., Blow, F. C., Ranney, M., Cunningham, R. M. & Walton, M. A. (2016). Prevalence and correlates of depression and drinking behaviors among adolescents and emerging adults in a suburban emergency department. Substance Use & Misuse, 51, 34-40.
- Patton, R., Cunningham, R. M., Carter, P. M., & Walton, A. M. (2015). Comparing substance use and violence among adolescents recruited from an urban emergency department: Does parenting status matter. Journal of Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, 3(209), 2. [open access]
- Ph.D. The Ohio State University, Human Development and Family Science with specialization in Couples and Family Therapy
- M.S. The Ohio State University, Human Development and Family Science
- B.S The Ohio State University, Psychology
- B.A. The Ohio State University, Anthropology
- Human Behavior and Social Environment: Small Systems