Chemical Engineering (MS)

The Department of Chemical Engineering at the University of Akron offers a Master of Science (MS) in Chemical Engineering.

Areas of specialization for graduate students include catalysis, enzymatic synthesis, filtration, biocompatible materials, bio-reaction engineering, chemical vapor deposition, molecular simulation colloids and adhesion, chaos, and controls.

To earn an MS degree, students must complete 30 credit hours of study. This includes a minimum of 24 credit hours of course work and six credit hours of thesis work. An oral defense of the thesis is also required.

Admission Requirements

  • GRE (may be waived for students with engineering degrees from ABET accredited institutions)
  • Three letters of recommendation
  • Statement of Purpose
  • Resume

Application Deadline

  • May 1 for Fall enrollment
  • October 31 for Spring enrollment
  • February 15 for Summer enrollment

Students seeking a graduate assistantship should submit all application materials in accordance with the following deadlines:

  • March 1 for Fall enrollment
  • September 1 for Spring enrollment

Additional Information

An MS in Chemical Engineering typically requires two years to complete. 

The department's major research apparatuses include gas chromatographs; gas chromatograph-mass spectrometry; BET; differential scanning calorimetry and thermogravimetric analysis; FT-IR, HPLC, XRF, and heat release equipment; laser and light scattering equipment; pilot scale bubble cap and packed towers; extruders; biochemical reactors; sterilizers. In addition, students have access to the extensive library and computer facilities at the university and to external supercomputer facilities.

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

Not all departments offer graduate assistantships. Students should inquire with the department directly to determine assistantship availability.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process. It is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.

Page maintained by The Graduate School. Request a change to this page.