Faculty Spotlight Advocates
Name: Stacia Smilek
Years Teaching: 5 1/2
1. What do you enjoy most about your current role at The University of Akron? I enjoy working with students. I really love the one-on-one interactions with the students and seeing the “light bulb” moments when they really come to understand a difficult concept.
2. Why did you choose this career? I love the college campus atmosphere, and I knew that I wanted it to remain a consistent presence in my life. I enjoy working with the students and making an impact on their lives, helping to direct them as they try to figure out their paths in life.
3. What would you say to a student that is interested in your career path? It takes a lot of patience, but it is extremely rewarding if you stick with it and stick with your students.
4. What is one thing you do to ensure that your course is accessible to all students? I use a variety of teaching tools during lecture: notes, outlines, oral instruction, discussion, group activities, and audio visual aids.
5. How do you provide a supportive, positive learning environment? I encourage my students to discuss the material being covered. I do not like to “lecture” students in any course I teach, even the large lecture courses. I believe that students get the most out of the class when they are asked questions, they ask questions, and when they participate actively in the teaching of the material.
6. What is your greatest accomplishment? In my opinion, my greatest accomplishment is having a significant impact on the lives of the students who come through my classroom, including my own children, and helping to mold the adults that they are striving to become.
7. What are some of your favorite hobbies? I enjoy spending time with my family, traveling,
reading, watching sports, and working out.