Providing students in periodic need with access to the basic necessities of daily living. All enrolled UA students — undergraduate, graduate, international, on-campus resident, or commuter — have access to an assortment of non-perishable food and hygiene items. When you’re in a financial pinch, we can help reduce your worries by providing you with food and personal hygiene items.
Visiting a Cupboard
Any enrolled UA student may approach a cupboard in any of these locations and take the needed items. Students are asked to provide demographic information, which is used for assessment and evaluation of the program.
What to Expect
The first time you visit the walk-in Campus Cupboard in Simmons Hall (Room 102C), you will be asked to complete a short questionnaire that collects some basic information so that we can continue to provide this program.
Each time you visit, you will be asked to let us know that you’ve popped in…think of this as our “hello” to one another.
Just like any store, you will be given a shopping basket and the point system list.
Once you’ve collected your needed items you’ll then see a ZipAssist team member to check out.
Unlike a grocery store, we don’t collect any money…we just want to make sure you selected items within the appropriate limit.
- Jean Hower Taber Student Union, First Floor (outside room 133, across from the Game Room)
- Bierce Library, First Floor (left of entrance)
- Simmons Hall, Lobby
- Polsky Building, Second Floor (Academic Advising Suite)
Simmons Hall, Room 102C offers a larger variety of more substantial non-perishable foods and full size items.
- If you have any questions email us at email@example.com.
We offer Zips Care Packages for enrolled students. Each package includes up to ten food items and five hygiene or miscellaneous items.
- Simply complete the online form for basic needs assistance and we'll assemble your package.
- We’ll bundle your items in a discrete bag and will have them ready for pick-up at the ZipAssist desk.
- You will receive an email when your package is ready for pick-up.
- When you arrive, you will simply sign for the items and will be on your way.
- Please allow two business days for processing of your Zips Care Package.
- We will fill your request to the best of our ability.
We also provide information about various community resources available to UA students.
Students may also contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information about temporary housing, textbooks, utility assistance, buss passes, eye exams and more.
Campus Cupboard is intended to provide “gap assistance,” to enrolled students up to five times per semester. However, no student will be turned away. ZipAssist staff will work with you to find more sustainable food options, employment, and additional assistance programs and long-term support options through community resources, organization referrals, government assistance eligibility (ex: SNAP, HEAP, WIC), and potential support through the one-time emergency aid program at UA, the Student Emergency Financial Assistance (SEFA) program.
Supporting a Cupboard
In 2019, more than 13,000 food and hygiene items were distributed on campus. A donation of $30 provides one student with a five-day supply of emergency food.
Donations are always needed and can be dropped off to ZipAssist, located on the first floor of Simmons Hall. We kindly ask that you adhere to our donation guidelines:
- All items must have labels
- All items must be sealed
- No homemade goods, including baked goods and home-canned items
- Expired items will not be accepted
Shop on Amazon
You can also purchase food for the pantry through Amazon, using our Amazon Food Pantry Needs list.
- Select items that you wish to purchase and sponsor for the Cupboard
- Ensure the items send to:
The University of Akron – ZipAssist
277 E Buchtel Ave
Akron, OH 44325-6222
Items Needed Now
- canned fruit
- gluten-free items
- vegetarian items
- peanut butter
- spaghetti sauce (cans and jars)
- boxed Quick to make rice or grain mixes
- canned soups (including vegetarian)
- macaroni and cheese
- canned vegetables
- canned baked beans (including vegetarian)
- laundry detergent
- dish soap
- toothpaste / toothbrushes
- toilet paper
- bathroom and kitchen cleaners
- cleaning sponges
- window cleaners
- shampoo and conditioners
- bar or liquid soaps
- tampons and pads
- new socks
To make a monetary donation to the Campus Cupboard, visit the University’s giving page and click the “Give Online” button.
When asked what you would like to support, select “Other Designation” then type “Campus Cupboard.” Complete the rest of the form as usual. UA employees can also give through Payroll Deduction.
If you have any questions about giving to this program, or the Student Emergency Financial Assistance [SEFA] program, please contact Alison Doehring, Director, ZipAssist, at email@example.com.
The Campus Cupboard is made possible due to the generous support of campus offices, colleagues, student organizations, faculty, staff, and students. Additional support has been provided by community organizations, local youth groups, and various donors including The Salvation Army of Summit County and the Akron/Canton Regional Foodbank.
About the Cupboard
The Campus Cupboard program was created from data collected at UA and national college student trends; both of which determined that there’s a segment of the student body that is food insecure and would consider making use of a campus food pantry. For national data on food insecurity and basic needs for college students, please visit Hope4College.com.