COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Civil engineers plan and design large-scale projects like bridges and power plants, study and solve societal and environmental challenges like providing safe drinking water, and design and maintain transportation systems.
Our undergraduate program allows students to tailor their education toward specialties like structural, water resources and hydraulic, geotechnical, environmental and transportation.
The graduate program is designed to be flexible enough to meet the needs of students with varied backgrounds and prepare them for a career in industry, government or academia.
Learn more about the Civil Engineering Department and read the message from the Chair.
- Certifications & Specializations
- Short Courses
- 100 Years Newsletter
- Alumni Social Network
Video: ALUMNUS ROBERT STEVENS
Department of Civil Engineering
Auburn Science and Engineering Center (ASEC) 210
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-3905
- UA to host civil engineering design competitions this spring
- Engineering and art join forces to benefit Akron neighborhoods
- ‘Grease is the word’ for UA research team
- Students create photo project to promote women in engineering
- New Student Trustee appointed to Board of Trustees
Dr. Binienda, Professor & Chair
Welcome to a department of engineers looking to – quite literally – build a better, sustainable, more stable world. Students can expect a rigorous and comprehensive curriculum that includes practical laboratories, a variety of engineering courses, and a capstone senior design experience along with immersive learning opportunities with the cooperative education program and award-winning design teams. Continue reading the Chair's Welcome.
- Engineering Tutoring Program
- Increasing Diversity in Engineering Academics (IDEAs)
- Women in Engineering Program (WIEP)
- American Society of Civil Engineers Student Chapter
- All engineering student organizations
- Accredited Online College Degree Programs
Civil Department Group Photo