Our student organizations include:
|Women In Mathematics.||Pi Mu Epsilon.||SIAM.|
Starting in 2015, we will host a SIAM Student Chapter. SIAM is the Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics.The objectives of this chapter include discussing research, promoting interaction between undergraduate and graduate students, and providing information about career choices. We'll achieve these objectives in part via a lecture series on research and career development in applied mathematics, a student seminar that shall give students an opportunity to give presentations and improve their communication skills, social events and field trips!
We host the Women in Mathematics group, a community of female math faculty and students who work together to provide support and resources for women in math at The University of Akron. WIM encourages women to pursue studies and careers in mathematics by organizing events such as seminars given by female speakers. The main goal of WIM is to retain more women mathematics students at all levels, from undergraduate through graduate, and to provide them with a strong network of support.
We are home to the Ohio Nu Chapter of Pi Mu Epsilon, the mathematics honorary society.Anyone can join the student org as a math club member; the club membership is open to all and has no requirements other than interest in math! Then if you are interested, on top of that you can apply for honor society membership.
The Chapter sponsors a number of annual events:
- The department picnic, held in October.
- The spring banquet and induction ceremony, held in April, in which new Pi Mu Epsilon members are inducted into the society, and departmental scholarships are awarded.
- Parties held at various times throughout the year -- movies, game-playing, and more
You may also participate in student conferences and events held at UA and around Ohio:
- The Annual Poster Session, held in December, which highlights student research projects.
- The William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition is held around the country every December. For the past 25 years, the Department has entered undergraduate competitors, and several have placed quite highly in national rankings.
- UASIS, the UA Student Innovation Symposium, held on the main campus every spring, highlights student research projects across campus
- The Ohio Section of the MAA, Mathematical Association of America, holds conferences every fall and spring at a college or university in Ohio