You are in the right place for a great career!
The top 10 best jobs in the recent rankings include mathematician, operations research analyst, actuary, statistician and one of the best paid but still most in demand: data scientist.
Recently Applied Mathematics was ranked among the top valuable majors. Mathematician has often been rated the No. 1 career choice.
New Funding: Master's Degrees and Honors College
The Department of Mathematics offers a variety of interdisciplinary accelerated 5-year BS/MS programs! This program meshes well with an Honors College thesis. Transition to the graduate program happens during the 4th year. Your Akron Scholarship or Honors College Scholarship can be used in the first 4 years to cover both undergraduate and graduate expenses, and the Department has graduate assistantships available for the 5th year. Planning early is the key to success for these programs; for more information, visit 5-year Master's or contact Dr. Pat Wilber, Graduate Coordinator of the Math Department, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Available: Actual jobs and exams to prepare for!
UA Career Services
Career Services helps students and alumni explore and reach career goals. Meet with a Career Services Coordinator to discuss career exploration, career development and career opportunities.
- Connecting UA majors to in-demand jobs
- What can I do with this major?
- Resume and cover letter writing skills
- Interview preparation and mock interviews
- Job search strategies
- Handshake networking and job board
- Career fairs
- Employer information sessions
- And much more
Where do math alumni work?
Here are some of the many places in the public and private sectors where graduates of the UA math department have been employed.
- Ashland University
- Babcock and Wilcox Company
- Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory
- Bio-Med Science Academy
- Aircraft Braking Systems
- American Greetings
- Bell Labs
- Bell and Howe
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Cisco Systems
- College of Mt. Saint Joseph
- U.S. Department of Defense
- Diebold Nixdorf
- Equity Engineering Group
- Federal Reserve Bank
- Ford Motor Company
- General-Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
- General Electric
- Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
- InfoCision Management Corp.
- Kent State
- Luke Engineering
- Los Alamos National Lab
- Mercury Insurance
- Michigan Aerospace Corporation
- MRI Software: Property and Investment Management Services
- Nationwide Insurance
- National Security Agency
- Progressive Insurance
- Tegrit: Technology Solutions and Consulting
- Towers Watson
- University of Akron
- Visteon Corporation
- Westfield Insurance