Meeting and event guidelines
We appreciate your patience as the University continues to navigate best practices in pandemic operations.
Facility managers across campus came together to discuss the ongoing impact of COVID-19 on preparation for fall semester operations. In the best interest of community health and safety, as well as a review of trending guidelines, the group has made the following recommendations, which are supported by University administration:
- Strongly encourage department and student organization events and meetings to be held virtually whenever possible.
- In person meetings, events and activities will be held for 10 or fewer participants, ideally outside.
- In person events, activities and meetings should be for University of Akron community members when possible.
- All events, activities and meetings will adhere to current protocols, including facial coverings, physical distancing, and appropriate hand washing/sanitation.
- Strongly recommend documenting attendance for each event for potential contact tracing needs.
- No external/public guests rentals.
- Specific facilities, based on their designated use, will have additional safety guidelines.
- Any proposed event/program falling outside these recommended guidelines will be vetted by a University committee for determination of essential business needs.
These decisions allow for a focus on the transition to reopen campus safely in consideration of longer-term preparation and planning, both for UA and the event organizers. We look forward to updating this recommended plan for future dates when clear state and federal guidelines continue to become available.