Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy Track Doctoral degree in Counselor Education and Supervision

At The University of Akron the School of Counseling Doctoral Degree in Counselor Education and Supervision tracks: Counselor Education (CE) and Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy (MFCT). Please note: these programs are being phased out and will no longer be accepting new applicants. Those currently enrolled are not effected by this.

Specifically, the Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy (MFCT) Track in Counselor Education and Supervision aims to train students to become advanced practitioners, teachers, supervisors, and/or researchers in the field of marriage and family therapy. Training is based on a systemic/relational view of life in which an understanding and respect for diversity and non-discrimination are fundamentally addressed, practiced, and valued. Our students will value the importance of providing service to the community within the context of interprofessional collaboration and recognize the need to advocate for the field.

Additional Information

The Doctoral MFCT Track is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE).  The MFCT Track consists of a 120-credit hour curriculum. Up to 30 credits may be transferred into the curriculum from a previous master’s or doctoral degree program if the graduate-level courses substitute for required coursework needed to complete the degree, if the student received a grade of "B" or better in the courses, and if the transfer of credits are approved by the student’s Faculty Adviser. Other conditions may apply.

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

All assistantships (and any fellowships) are awarded through the academic department. Students interested in obtaining an assistantship must apply. New students may indicate on their online application for admission that they would like to be considered for an assistantship. Current students must contact the academic department for application information. Each department may have different requirements for assistantship applicants, so all students should contact the academic department to determine these particular requirements. Only those students fully admitted to a master’s or doctoral degree-seeking program are eligible for a graduate assistantship. Students admitted as non-degree seeking or to a certificate program may not hold an assistantship.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process! it is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.