School Counseling

The School of Counseling at the University of Akron offers a Master's Degree in School Counseling. This course of study is based upon CACREP and the Ohio Department of Education's standards. It is designed to prepare students to become effective leaders in the process of transforming school counseling under the ASCA's National Model for School Counseling Programs.

Admission Requirements

  • School of Counseling application supplement form
  • Three letters of recommendation (departmental reference form)
  • BCI (Bureau of Criminal Investigation clearance)
  • Interview will be required for applicants who meet admission criteria

Click here for application materials and contact information.

Application Deadline

Applications to the master's degree program in School Counseling are accepted on a rolling basis until the program reaches its admission capacity. A review of the applications begins in February for Summer and Fall admission and in September for Spring admission. Applicants are strongly urged to apply as early as possible.

Additional Information

The academic foundation is built upon the eight core areas of the 2009 CACREP Standards: professional identity, social and cultural diversity, human growth and development, career development, helping relationships, group work, assessment, and research/program evaluation. Additional coursework specific to school counseling includes foundations and contextual dimensions of school counseling, and consultation. A unique focus of the program is training future school counselors in advocacy skills to assist students and families in overcoming barriers or impediments to success in learning and development.

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

Not all departments offer graduate assistantships. Students should inquire with the department directly to determine assistantship availability.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process! it is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.