Augmentative-Alternative Communication and Assistive Technology Center The University of Akron, School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
Speech Generating Devices (SGD):
The Audiology and Speech Center’s AAC lab has a comprehensive collection of the most current SGDs on the market. Devices contain a variety of language-based software that can be used to enhance communication.
Our current devices include:
- Prentke Romich Company (PRC): Accent 1400, Accent 1000, Accent 800
- Tobii Dynavox: I-12, I-13, I-15, I-110
- Saltillo: NOVA chat 5, NOVA chat 8, NOVA chat 10
- Forbes AAC: ProSlate 4, ProSlate 8, ProSlate 10, WinSlate 12
- Attainment Company: GoTalk Pocket, GoTalk 4, GoTalk 20
- Mayer-Johnson:Tech/Talk 8, Tech/Talk 4
- Apple: iPad Pro, iPad Mini, iPad Air, iPad
- Accessibility & Accessories: Switches, joysticks, sip & puff switches, head mouse, eyegaze, microphones, trackball mouse, optical headpointer, keyboard, mouse, and more!
- A licensed speech language pathologist with expertise in the area of AAC combined with a team of graduate student clinicians conduct evaluations to trail SGDs and/or tablets that are a fit for the client’s needs. Evaluations are done on site at The Audiology and Speech Center (off site evaluations are available for a fee).
- We serve a variety of individuals with complex communication needs associated with —but not limited to— cerebral palsy, autism spectrum disorder, hearing impairments, Down Syndrome, multiple sclerosis, traumatic brain injury, stroke, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, apraxia of speech and aphasia.
Clinicians complete all necessary paperwork required to receive funding for SGDs through payor sources, including:
- Private Insurance
- Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation
Treatment plans are designed for community and home-based device use, and are personalized for each individual. The AAC lab offers additional treatment options for implementation of SGDs. These services include:
- User device training
- Caregiver device training
- Device programming
- Device customization
- Troubleshooting services
Services are available for individuals evaluated in the clinic, or for those who already have a device and need assistance.