Kristine E. Sonstrom Malowski, Ph.D., Au.D., CCC-A, FAAA
I joined The University of Akron's School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology in 2015 after earning a dual-Doctorate in Philosophy (Ph.D.) and Audiology (Au.D.) from the University of Cincinnati. I established and direct The University of Akron's FETCHLAB™, the Facility for the Education and Testing of Canine Hearing and the Laboratory for Animal Bioacoustics.
I completed my clinical audiology externship at Yale Hearing and Balance Center in Connecticut. As part of my externship, I researched correlations between objective and subjective measures in patients with balance disorders. My Ph.D. research focused on the Establishment of Normative Auditory Electrophysiologic Measures in Military and Service Working Dogs (Unclassified). During my studies, I obtained a Certificate in Animal Audiology from FETCHLABTM through the University of Cincinnati, a lab devoted to canine hearing testing and the study of animal bioacoustics. I currently serve as the FETCHLABTM Akron Director, working in collaboration with the University of Cincinnati (UC FETCHLABTM, Founder) and the University of Northern Colorado (FETCHLABTM UNC). Recently, I completed a funded study investigating Noise-Induced Hearing Loss in K9 and Non-K9 Police Officer Handlers, while continuing ongoing inter-professional and canine-related audiology research projects.
Professional and Research Interests
- Auditory Electrophysiology / Neuro-Audiology
- Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
- Animal Audiology and Bioacoustics
- Vestibular Assessment and Management
- Clinical Interprofessionalism and Mentorship
- American Academy of Audiology
- Journal of Acoustical Society of America
- American Speech Language and Hearing Association
Licensure and Certifications
- Audiology License, Ohio Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
- Board Certification in Audiology, American Board of Audiology
- Fellow of the American Academy of Audiology
- Certificate of Clinical Competence (Audiology), American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Certificate in Animal Audiology, University of Cincinnati FETCHLABTM
- Certificate of Training: VNG/ENG Administration and Interpretation, GN Otometrics
- Certificate of Completion: NIH Proposals Workshop
- 2021 Outstanding Young Audiologist Award
Ohio Academy of Audiology
- 5-Year Milestone Service Achievement Award
The University of Akron
- 2019 James and Susan Jerger Award for Student Excellence, American Academy of Audiology Conference
A Proposed Hearing Conservation Program for Occupational Hearing Loss in First Responders
Student: J. Motter, BS; Mentor: K. Sonstrom Malowski, Ph.D., Au.D.
Wideband Acoustic Immittance for Middle Ear Evaluation in Dogs (Manuscript submitted for publication December 2021, minor revisions requested are underway, will be resubmitted no later than March 11, 2021)
Sonstrom Malowski, K.E., Cole, L.K., Steiger, J.R., Scheifele, P.M. (First submission for review December 2021). School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, University of Akron.
Auditory changes following firearm noise exposure, a review (Accepted for publication 2/10/2022)
Sonstrom Malowski, K., Gollihugh, L.H., Malyuk, H., LePrell, C.G. Journal of Acoustical Society of America.
Hearing Loss in Police K9 Handlers and Non-K9 Handlers
Sonstrom Malowski, K. & Steiger, J. (2020). International Journal of Audiology, 59(2), 109-116. https://doi.org/10.1080/14992027.2019.1663450
Fear of noises affects problem solving behavior and locomotion in standardized cognitive tests|
Overall, K.L., Dunham, A.E., Scheifele, P.M., Sonstrom Malowski, K.E. (2019). Applied Animal Behaviour Science, 221, 104863. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2019.104863
Is noise reactivity reflected in auditory response variables, including those that measure cognition, in dogs? Initial findings
Scheifele, P.M., Sonstrom, K.E., Overall, K.L., Dunham, A.E. (2016) Journal of Veterinary Behavior Clinical Applications and Research, 16, 65-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jveb.2016.09.002
Middle latency response testing for auditory cognition in canines.
Scheifele, P.M., Sonstrom, K.E., Overall, K., Dunham, A.E. (2015) Journal of Veterinary Behavior Clinical Applications and Research 10(5): 439-440.
Noise Impacts from Professional Dog Grooming Forced-Air Dryers
Scheifele, P.M., Johnson, M.T., Byrne, D.C., Clark, J.G., Vandlik, A., Kretschmer, L.W., Sonstrom, K.E. (2012) Noise & Health, 14, 60, 224-226.
Ballroom Music Spillover into a Beluga Whale Aquarium Exhibit
Scheifele, P.M., Clark, J.G., Sonstrom, K.E., Kim, H., Potty, G., Miller, J., Gaglione, E. (2012) Advances in Acoustic and Vibration, Vol. 2012, Article ID 402130, 7 pp.
Unsupervised Validity Measures for Vocalization Clustering
Adi, K.; Sonstrom, K.E.; Scheifele, P.M.; Johnson, M.T.
International Conference on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing 2008 (ICASSP08), Las Vegas, Nevada, April 2008 Page(s): 4377 – 4380.
Sonstrom, K. & Scheifele, P.M. (2020). Canine Audiology. In Advances in Audiology and Hearing Science, Volume 1: Clinical Protocols and Hearing Devices. Hatzopoulos, S., Ciorba, A., Krumm, M. (Eds.) Apple Academic Press, Oakville, ON.
Scheifele, P.M., Bright, K., Stoody, T., Weber, J. & Sonstrom Malowski, K. E. (In Progress). Animal Audiology Evoked Potentials. In Auditory Electrophysiology: A Clinical Guide, 2nd Ed. Atcherson, S.R. & Stoody, T.M. (Eds.). Thieme, New York, NY.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Hearing Science / University of Cincinnati
- Doctor of Audiology / University of Cincinnati
- Teaching Certificate, Secondary School Science (7-12) / Department of Higher Education
- Master of Science, Animal Science / University of Cincinnati
- Bachelor of Science, Animal Science / University of Cincinnati
Graduate Teaching (The University of Akron):
- Evaluation and Management of Balance Disorders
- Advanced Electrophysiologic and Vestibular Measures
- Audiologic Treatment Across the Lifespan
- Multicultural Issues in Audiology
- Seminar in Audiology
- Clerkship and Internship (Clinical courses)
Graduate and Undergraduate Teaching (Prior Experience):
- Anatomy of Voice and Speech Production
- Neurological Foundations of Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Neurological Basis of Communication Disorders
- Audiology I
- Companion Animal Management