Katie Boarman, M.A.
Title: Director Speech Center
Dept/Program: School of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology / Speech-Language Pathology
Office: Polsky 182J
- Joined the University of Akron in 2011 with a focus in Augmentative-Alternative Communication (AAC)
- Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Director at the University of Akron Audiology and Speech Center
- Teaching faculty for coursework in Augmentative-Alternative Communication
- School Externship Coordinator
- Supervisor of Clinical instruction
- Past President of the Ohio School Speech Pathology and Educational Audiology Coalition (OSSPEAC)
- School based speech-language pathologist working in a suburban school district with students in grades 3-12 with varying abilities and needs
- Acute, hospital-based speech-language pathologist with a primary focus on dysphagia
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association Certificate of Clinical Competence
- Ohio Board of Speech and Hearing Professionals license
- Ohio Department of Education Pupil Service license
- Carlin, C. H., Boarman, K. M., & Brady, E. (2016). Guiding student clinicians as they develop AAC goals and monitor progress. Perspectives on Alternative-Augmentative Communication.
- Carlin, C.H., Boarman, K. M., Carlin, E.L., & Inselmann, K. (2013). The use of e-supervision support speech-language pathologist graduate students during student teaching practica. International Journal of Telerehabilitation. 5(2), 21-32.
- Gillette, Y., Carlin, C. H., & Boarman, K. M. (2012). Achieving communication competence through collaboration. www.GannettHG.com.
- Gillette, Y., Harding, J., Boarman, K.M., Buffa, J., Tedrick, M., & Young, M. (2012) the iPad revolution: what speech-language pathologists should know. OSHLA annual convention, Columbus, OH.
- Gillette, Y., Carlin, C. H., & Boarman, K. M. (2012). iPads and autism: achieving communication competence through collaboration.
- Professional Presentations
- Gillette, Y., Harding, J., Boarman, K.M., Buffa, J., Tedrick, M., & Young, M. (March 2012). The iPad revolution: What SLPs should know. Ohio Speech-Language Hearing Association.
- Boarman, K.M., & Ackerman, C. (March 2014). Video Modeling. Akron Public Schools.
- Boarman, K.M., (October 2014). Achieving communication competence through effective intervention planning. Ohio School Speech Pathology Educational Audiology Coalition (OSSPEAC).
- Brewer, A., Ressler, R., Boarman, K.M., Miller, E., & Francic, S. (April 2014). Supervisor survival guide. The University of Akron and Kent State University Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology Preceptor Training.
- Boarman, K.M., (March 2018). Exploring AAC for school aged children: A guide to feature matching assessment & core language development. Summit County Educational Service Center.
- Augmentative Communication
- Advanced Clinical Practicum: Speech-Language Pathology
- School-based Externship: Speech-Language Pathology Student Teaching: Language Pathology
- Externship: Speech-Language Pathology