Mechanical engineers research, develop, design, manufacture, and test mechanical devices. The University of Akron offers an undergraduate degree program where students graduate with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering. This is the broadest of all engineering degrees offered at The University of Akron with a huge variety of career options once you graduate.
Our comprehensive curriculum teaches students how to apply energy, momentum, and continuity to thermo-fluid and mechanical systems.
- are innovative and interactive
- incorporate real engineering design challenges into courses
- conduct research year round in state-of-the-art facilities
Experience mechanical engineering firsthand by working alongside faculty at one of our research facilities, including:
- NSF I/UCRC Center for Tire Research (CenTiRe)
- 3D Printing of Smart Structures Lab
- Conquer Chiari Research Center
- Acoustic/Elastic Composite Metamaterials Lab
- Computational Aerodynamics Lab
- Electrospun Polymer Adhesives Lab
- Micro/Nano Engineering Lab
- Microelectromechanical Systems Lab
- Multi-scale Modeling of Damage and Failure of Materials Lab
- High-Temperature Lab
- Surface Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing Lab
- Nonlinear Dynamics and Structural Mechanics Lab
- Autonomous Systems Lab
- Advanced Energy & Sensor Lab
- Solid Mechanics Lab
- Human Factors Engineering Lab
Gain important practical professional experience through the optional cooperative education program in the engineering field of your choice. Through co-op, you’ll alternate semesters of work and school following your sophomore year. As an added benefit, you’ll earn a competitive salary.
Join one of the award-winning UA design competition teams — Aero Design, Akronauts Rocketry, Formula Combustion, Formula Electric, Human Power Vehicle, or Baja.
Interact with other engineering students and professionals in the field through organizations and groups including:
- Tau Beta Pi (engineering honors society)
- Women in Engineering
- National Society of Black Engineers
- Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
- American Society of Mechanical Engineering
- Society of Automotive Engineers
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Page maintained by the Department of University Communications and Marketing. Request a change to this page.