AND DANCE AUDITION
The University and Akron Undergraduate Application and Admission
To apply to UA online, or learn about the admission process, transfer process, applications, campus visits, live chats, and much more – everything a future UA student needs to know - use these links!
Dance Program Placement Audition
Audition information for prospective students
- Fall audition deadline: Nov. 21, 2020
- Spring audition date: March 13, 2021
Auditions for placement in the UA Dance Program consist of group classes in ballet, pointe, modern, jazz, and tap.
All prospective dance majors enter the UA Dance Program on a provisional basis and technique class placement is determined by audition.
At the end of the freshman year, students successfully passing the Freshman Jury will be admitted into the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences as B.A. in Dance majors. Students interested in pursuing a B.F.A. in Dance degree must successfully pass a B.F.A. audition at the end of the sophomore year.
Fall 2020 Audition Details
Deadline to submit Audition Materials is Saturday, November 21, 2020.
Video Auditions should include the following information:
- Your name
- Video clips demonstrating components from each dance style in which you are experienced.
- Audition Materials are used to inform your level placement in technique classes.
- If you are not experienced in a specific dance style, you will be placed in Level I.
- You may be moved into higher level during the first two weeks of the semester based on performance in class.
- Upload your video to an online site - like YouTube - and email the link with your contact information to email@example.com
- Phrase right + left
- Center pirouette phrase
- Grande battement combo
- Barre work: Tendu combination from 5th right + left; Rond de jambe combination right + left
- Center: Adagio, pirouettes from 4th
- Center phrase
- Traveling phrase
For more information on admission and auditions click the button below
Schedule your UA Dance Program audition
To pay the required dance audition fee, mail a check for $10, payable to The University of Akron, to the following address.
UA Dance Program mailing address
ATTN: Dance Program Placement Audition
The University of Akron
School of Dance, Theatre, and Arts Administration
Akron, OH 44325-1005
Note: auditions are finalized when payment is received.
Additional Audition Option
If you are unable to attend an audition, you may submit a video including components listed below, showing the dancer’s full body from the front and side. Videos must include:
- Ballet (center work including pirouettes from fourth and fifth positions, petite allegro, and an exercise across the floor such as grande allegro or a waltz combination)
- Pointe (a releve combination, on two feet and one foot, and an exercise for pirouettes)
- Modern (center and across the floor)
- Tap (phrase right and left)
- Jazz (center and across the floor)
Upload your video to an online site - like YouTube - and email the link with your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, email Dr. Marc Reed at email@example.com or call 330-972-7948 with questions regarding the UA Dance Program and auditions.