AND DANCE AUDITION
The University and Akron Undergraduate Application and Admission
To apply to UA online, or learn about the admission process, transfer process, applications, campus visits, live chats, and much more – everything a future UA student needs to know - use these links!
Dance Program Placement Audition
Audition information for prospective students
- Fall audition date: Friday, November 3, 2023
- Spring audition date: Friday, January 26, 2024
We know that choosing the right school can be daunting. At UA, we strive to make your audition experience both positive and informational so that you can make the best choice possible for your journey with dance. This is why, in addition to your audition, we provide a half day of events which give you ample opportunity to spend time with our tight-knit community of dancers and faculty.
Our faculty panel will observe as you take a 75-minute ballet class, a 75-minute Modern with Africanist Aesthetics class, and a 20-minute improvisation session. After a break, each dancer will present a solo in the genre of their choice immediately followed by a one-on-one interview with the faculty panel. After solo presentations, prospective students and their parents are invited to eat lunch and mingle with our faculty and current students. Other scheduled events include a visit from a UA Admissions representative, off-the-record talks with current students, an informal choreographic showing in our performance studio, and a campus tour. Below is a sample schedule of an in-person audition day:
8:30AM – 9:00AM: Registration
9:00AM – 10:15AM: Ballet class
10:30AM – 11:45AM: African class
12:00PM – 12:20PM: Improvisation
12:30PM – 1:30PM: Solo presentation and interview with faculty panel
1:30PM – 1:45PM: Break for faculty panel deliberation; building tour. Light lunch will be provided for prospective students & parents, and currently enrolled students
12:45PM – 1:05PM: Q&A with prospective students and currently enrolled students
1:05PM – 1:30PM: Official Q&A with faculty, staff, and prospective students, and parents
1:30PM – 2:15PM: Informal choreographic showing in studio 194
2:15PM: Campus tour with UA tour guide (optional)
This 75-minute class will consist of a quick barre and center work. The faculty may ask to see dancers en pointe during this time. Pointe work is not required for entry into the UA Dance Program, but please bring pointe shoes if you wear them. Due to the fast pace of the first class, please arrive early to warm up as needed.
- Female-Identifying Dancers: Pink or flesh-toned tights under the leotard and inside the ballet shoes; black leotard; hair securely back; minimal jewelry.
- Male-Identifying Dancers: Black tights, white or black fitted T-shirt, tucked in. Black or white ballet shoes; hair securely back; minimal jewelry.
- Gender Neutral: We respect and welcome your gender identity. Within the previously listed dress code options, consider wearing what feels most authentic to you.
Modern with Africanist Aesthetics Class
- In this 75-minute class, students will explore a technique based on spine mobility. The students will learn a short dance phrase, which they will present in small groups.
- Dress Code: Please wear anything that you feel comfortable moving in.
- Presented in the genre of the dancer’s choice. We suggest presenting a solo that plays to the strengths of the dancer and feels authentic. Solos should be no longer than 2:30. Dancers can present ballet variations, hip hop combinations, improvisation, tap, etc. Please bring music and any relevant adaptors, noting that we connect to your music via auxiliary cord. The faculty will connect your music to the system, as well as start and stop your music as needed.
Please compile the below audition materials into one video and submit via email to both Colleen Barnes (email@example.com) and Katie Logsdon (firstname.lastname@example.org). YouTube link is preferred as it is the most easily accessible, but the file can also be shared in other formats (cloud link, video attached to the email, etc.).
Submission Deadline: April 1, 2023
Submission Deadline for scholarship consideration: February 1, 2023
Audition Video Content
Ballet Barre, 1 side:
- Battement Tendu/Degagé
- Adagio/Rond de Jambe
- Grand Battement
- Battement Tendus
- Waltz with pirouette
- Petit Allegro
- Grand Allegro
- Any floorwork
- Across the floor
- Improvisation for up to 45 seconds
- Presented in the genre of the dancer’s choice. We suggest presenting a solo that plays to the strengths of the dancer and feels authentic. Solos should be no longer than 2:30. Dancers can present ballet variations, hip hop combinations, improvisation, tap, etc.
Pre-registration for an in-person audition is appreciated, but not required. Online registration and payment of fees can be found by visiting https://www.uakron.edu/dtaa/dance/audition-information.dot. Please scroll to the bottom of the page for registration and payment links. On the scheduled in-person audition day, registration is scheduled for 8:30-9:00AM in the lobby of Guzzetta Hall. Please bring $10.00 cash for registration fees if you plan to register in person. Exact change is appreciated. If you pre-register for an in-person audition day, you will receive a detailed schedule via email.
You still need to register and pay the $10.00 audition fee to audition virtually.
All prospective dance majors enter the UA Dance Program on a provisional basis and technique class placement is determined by audition.
At the end of the freshman year, students successfully passing the Freshman Jury will be admitted into the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences as B.A. in Dance majors. Students interested in pursuing a B.F.A. in Dance degree must successfully pass a B.F.A. audition at the end of the sophomore year.
University of Akron Guzzetta Hall, located at 228 E. Buchtel Ave., Akron, OH 44325
Typing this address into google maps will navigate you directly to our building.
Prospective students may park in Commuter parking lot 27, located adjacent to Guzzetta Hall and EJ Thomas Hall at the corner of Hill Street and E. Buchtel Avenue. Attached to this email is an electronic parking permit. Please print the permit and display in your front window. Cars without a pass will be ticketed.
Other parking is available for an hourly fee at the North Campus parking deck, which is located on E. Buchtel Avenue next to Commuter parking lot 27.
Does my parent need to come with me?
Some prospective students bring their parents, and others do not. It’s your choice! During the audition process, which is closed to the public, parents are invited to socialize in their own room. Parents are invited to be present and participate in the second half of the day.
What if I get lost on the audition day and need support?
Call or text Colleen Barnes, faculty and Area Chair, at 646/232/9537.
When will I receive my audition results?
You will receive your audition results within 7 days of your audition. You will receive a letter via email which outlines the level of your acceptance, merit scholarship, classes to take, and next steps with a UA academic advisor.
Register for your audition by clicking the button below.
To pay the required $10 dance audition fee, please click the payment link below.
Note: auditions are finalized when payment is received.
Financial Aid and Scholarship Information
Click the button below to access information on financial aid and scholarship opportunities for Dance.
Please, email Dr. Marc Reed at email@example.com or call 330-972-7948 with questions regarding the UA Dance Program and auditions.