Tuition at The University of Akron is among the lowest in Ohio
Financial assistance is available in many forms:
- Generous scholarships
- Part-time employment
In addition to general scholarships available to all students at The University of Akron, the School of Dance, Theatre, and Arts Administration offers several scholarships specifically for its majors.
Visit UA Financial Aid for more information:
Dance Scholarships for outstanding high school seniors, incoming transfer students and current UA students
High school seniors or newly declared dance majors are eligible to apply for scholarship funds sponsored by the Dance Program in the School of Dance, Theatre, and Arts Administration, Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences at The University of Akron.
The applicant must be a senior in high school, incoming transfer student, or already enrolled at The University of Akron, an active participant in performing arts activities, and planning to major in the Dance Program at The University of Akron. The applicant should demonstrate leadership qualities, strong character, academic ability, organizational skills, and experience in different aspects of dance.
Scholarships are available for students majoring in dance. Some smaller scholarships may also be distributed. Scholarships will be awarded by the Dance Program full-time faculty in consultation with the School Director.
- At the time of application, the student must be an outstanding high school dance senior, and incoming transfer student, or a current student at The University of Akron.
- All applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 on a 4-point scale (or equivalent).
- The applicant must have applied to The University of Akron as a prospective dance student and been accepted or have declared a dance major.
- If awarded a scholarship, dance students must audition for UADC productions each semester. The recipient will be expected to maintain a 3.0 overall grade point average. The scholarship will be applied directly to tuition via the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Application requirements (for high school seniors and transfer students)
- A résumé including production and performance participation, leadership positions held, and academic achievements.
- A copy of the student’s high school transcript and college transcript (if applicable).
- An essay describing the characteristics of an exceptional dance artist and how the applicant’s accomplishments qualify him or her for the scholarship.
The process includes submission of the scholarship application during the spring semester and review by Dance faculty.
Awards granted are for one academic year with the possibility of renewal. Students must meet all requirements listed in the application. Details and application forms are available through the Dance Program’s website in early spring. The deadline for applications is announced at the time of application release.
Scholarship application submission checklist:
- Application form
- Applicant essay
- Applicant resumé and transcript
- The University of Akron acceptance status
Applications must be received at the School of Dance, Theatre, and Arts Administration Program Office by the specified deadline and notification of awards will be made by early May.
Applications for 2020-2021 Scholarships are now closed. Please check back for 2021-2022 application forms in Spring 2021.