Computer Engineering

Ph.D. students must pass a departmental qualifying examination to determine:

  • admissibility to the doctoral program, and
  • any technical weaknesses.

Once admitted, students must identify an interdisciplinary field of study, a dissertation director, and an Interdisciplinary Doctoral Committee before completion of 18 credits of coursework. A formal plan of study that is acceptable to the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Committee is also required.

The plan of study must have at least 48 credits of coursework, of which 42 credits must be at the 600 and 700 level and of which 6 credits may be special topics or 500 level courses. At least 24 of these course credits must be completed at UA. The minimum total credit hours for the doctoral program is 96.

The Ph.D. program also requires students:

  • to pass a candidacy examination to test the student’s ability to conduct independent research, and
  • to present an acceptable Dissertation Proposal that describes the proposed research to the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Committee.

The dissertation must be successfully defended to the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Committee. A copy of the Ph.D. in Engineering Program Procedures may be obtained from the office of the Dean of the College of Engineering (refer to contact info).

Admission Requirements

Admissions requirements and how to apply

Application Deadline

Admissions requirements and deadlines

Assistantship/Scholarship Information

Not all departments offer graduate assistantships. Students should inquire with the department directly to determine assistantship availability.

Financial Aid Information

Paying for college is a vital part of the education process! it is important to be informed of the many sources of aid available. Student loans are available to degree-seeking graduate students. Information on student loans can be found through the Office of Student Financial Aid. The Office of Student Financial Aid is located in Simmons Hall.

Tuition and Fees

Current tuition and fees schedules can be found through the Office of Student Accounts.